My all time favorite concert was at Cherry Hill last summer. It was the best outdoor setting with beautiful acoustic sounds. Still waiting for the artist's cd to come out so I can regularly enjoy his music, but I do love listening to his Mom's cd. She's fab.
Jeni- I thought for sure you would have picked The Moustache Heros, as you are their only consistent, screaming fan and you are related to 3 of the 4 members.
Hendu- Finn is hard to take your eyes off and "the stache" was on the other side of the stage, so Finn. Then the crazy bald dude on the front row who kept yelling the lyrics and pointing at Finn. Now answer the question. Is it Radiohead 2008? Arcade Fire? The National? OR Grateful Dead in Vegas circa 1994?
Becker Family- solid answer. I saw them at the U when they came out of the big lemon and they did a daydream believer singalong. pretty good.
T- of course. The Hold Steady was a total dude fest. A friend said something like, "if you're going to be in a rock band AND be faithful to your spouse this would be a good one to be in." to which another friend replied, "it's not exactly a john mayer concert is it?"
I had to think for a minute about this, but would say the concerts I most enjoyed would be The Cranberries at Salt Air, and Bush/Dave Matthews at the old Wolf Mountain. Both concerts involved a considerable amount of non-purposefully inhaled weed though...so my enjoyment level may have been heightened some.
All time best concert was Lilith Fair in Winter Park Colorado. In high school, Ash, Nick & I heard about the concert and we planned to drive there and attend the concert. We planed the route and hotel stays and then asked M&D if we could go. Oddly, they let us.
The concert was awesome. We saw Mary Chapin Carpenter and Sarah. We were front and center- it was amazing. We yelled for her to play Winters Night, but she just winked at us. Wish we could all still just pick up and drive out of town for the weekend!
How could I have forgotten the Moustache Heroes? Of course they're a favorite. Don't tell the boys. But, I did pick their leader and that has got to count for something.
Speaking of the band . . . the boys are ready to go.
I second Adrianne. There was something about that Lilith Fair and seeing Sarah. It was so awesome. And somehow on that trip we felt like we were getting away with something. We couldn't believe Mushie and Papa let us go. It was awesome.
Ray Lamontange at Club Sound in 2005. It was unbelievable. Seriously. Loved every minute of it.
Who I want to see: Enrique and The National ( not together, though that could be interesting...)
I have to say that over the years I have been witness to some of the biggest acts around. Some I was forced into out of pure love for my lady. from a quality standpoint I would have to give the nod to U2 I have seen them twice and they are one of the rare bands that sound better live than in person. People knock energy solutions arena for the accoustics but really I think the place just exposes shitty bands really quick. Personally though, The best concerts in my life have been ones that I have shared with my good friend John. Bob in cali or neil in park city It doesn't matter because those are the ones I will always remember.
Jared: Radiohead at the Greek Coleen: Decemberist at the Wiltern with good seats because I was fat and pregnant or Ben Harper/Jack Johnson at Santa Barbara bowl because music and a view of the ocean are a perfect combo
Jenny H- I think I love Farmington Canyon for the same reason.
A- that trip does sound fun.
Ash- That Ray show was awesome. And Enrique and the National would be a great fit. I hear they are doing a Record Store Day split EP.
Rett- oh the memories... I notice you didn't mention Catfish Keith.
Neena- Let Her Cry...if the tears fall down like rain. you know Darius Rucker is a country singer now? boots and everything.
Jared and Coleen- Radiohead hate Utah apparently, which is weird 'cuz Miley Cyrus loves utah and they are buds. I am jealous. I would love to run into happy, pregnant coleen at a decemberists show. And just about anything that happens in Santa Barbara sounds fun to me.
Stacy- Those olympic concerts were sweet. We saw Marc Antony, and I can't lie, it was really awesome. April 15, 2009 10:57 PM
I too went to the Janet Jackson Rythmn Nation concert Ash. Do you remember how she got sick after a few minutes and had to reschedule to a different date? Jane and I pushed shopping carts down Kensington Street in Somerset instead that night. Weird that I remember that. And....I have seen NKOTB 2x. They are pretty awesome.
Radiohead. And there's no close second. I was so engrossed the thing felt like it passed in a flash. Every song seemed to be about 30 seconds long and the 2.5 hour show felt like it went by in half an hour. Probably one of the 4 or 5 greatest days in my life.
Jenny, you'll be shocked to know that I totally remeber the Janet jackson night. Shopping carts and all! I loved Janets show! My favorites though have to be Ray Lamontagne at the Wiltern and Dave Matthews at Wolf Mountain (good girls night too). I would love to add Michael Jackson in his prime to that list, but not sure his show would be quite the same now.
And speaking of the Hold Steady, I just saw this list of "songs you must hear now" in Esquire magazine. There was a Gaslight Anthem song listed there, and the caption said, "We always wondered what the Hold Steady would sound like if they had a guy that could sing, now we know."
Libby- I think I was taken to that Bob concert. I was two.
Jenny- wasn't one of those NKOTB shows recent? like last year? nothing to be ashamed of.
Hendu- second vote for radiohead.
Jane- Kenisigton is a pretty steep hill and how did you get a shopping cart from smith's to sommerset? that sounds great. Ray puts on quite a show, and that is the second vote for a show at the "wiltern." Never heard of it. I may have to sechedule a trip.
Hendu again- Gaslight anthem is a good band.
Stacy- I'm sorry. In his defense, weddings are long and involve lots of standing around...
1- Radiohead in Boston this last summer! Far beyond anything I have ever experience before!
2- Janet Jackson Rythmn Nation Tour at the Salt Palace when I was maybe 8 yrs old...this is what made want to become a dancer
3- Jamie Cullum and Jonatha Brooke (not together, she was the opener) at the Hot Tin Roof on Martha's Vineyard....amazing performances and two of my favorite artists at the time!
My two favorites- 1. Dylan in Pittsburgh 1994. I went with my mom the day before my grandmother's funeral.
2. Low at the Velvet Room, 2005. Dick Baldwin opened. They did an acoustic set with a bunch of the Great Destroyer songs and closed with Will the Night, which still kills me everytime I hear it.
Ray Lamontagne/Rachel Yamagata at Club Sound is up there too. and Martin Sexton in a Logan theatre, 1997.
In no particular order... some of my favorites: Lilith Fair with Adrianne and Ashley... I have also seen Mary Chapin Carpenter with East Mountain South at some bookstore in NYC... and an amazing private Sarah McLachlan concert at the Barnes and Noble at Union Square- got autographed cds for my family! I have been to at least 3 Janet Jackson concerts... and Air Supply (first ever concert) and Tina Turner with my parents are all great memories. Ray Lamontagne/Rachel Yamagata at Club Sound with John and Ashley was killer and the Enrique concert (that Ash didn't make it to) was amazing... I was so overwhelmed and hyper afterwards that my friends thought I was drunk at the after party concert (Hello Amsterdam).
This is actually Aaron...Funny I read this question, 'cause #1, I was just asked it last night- while I was at the Death Cab/Cold War Kids/Ra Ra Riot show. And #2, I rarely read anyones blogs.
So back to the question. Last night I answered -it was either the Radiohead show at the Usana Amphitheater in UT many years ago or the Radiohead show at the Gorge in WA about 7 years ago. I've seen RH 3 times and they never fail to kill it.
Now that I think a little longer, the '94 Lollapalooza at the Gorge was amazing. Bands, venue, friends, road trip etc. The line up was: The Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, George Clinton & the P-Funk All Stars, The Breeders, A Tribe Called Quest, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, L7, Green Day. We were up front against the rail during all our favorites snapping shots w/ my point and shoot 35mm. They didn't have digital cameras back then nor did my cheap camera have a zoom lens. Yeah it was sweet.
You know this one, but I will remind you: Bob Dylan, 1994, Pittsburgh PA, outdoors under the trolley tracks on the day we buried your grandmother. Just you, and me, our grief, and Bob.
30 comments:
My all time favorite concert was at Cherry Hill last summer. It was the best outdoor setting with beautiful acoustic sounds. Still waiting for the artist's cd to come out so I can regularly enjoy his music, but I do love listening to his Mom's cd. She's fab.
Hoping for another concert of theirs this summer.
The real question of the day: Who did you watch longer, Craig Finn or the crazy keyboardist? They have an equal amount of appeal.
U2 puts on a pretty good show!!
John Mayer, of course.
Jeni- I thought for sure you would have picked The Moustache Heros, as you are their only consistent, screaming fan and you are related to 3 of the 4 members.
Hendu- Finn is hard to take your eyes off and "the stache" was on the other side of the stage, so Finn. Then the crazy bald dude on the front row who kept yelling the lyrics and pointing at Finn.
Now answer the question. Is it Radiohead 2008? Arcade Fire? The National? OR Grateful Dead in Vegas circa 1994?
Becker Family- solid answer. I saw them at the U when they came out of the big lemon and they did a daydream believer singalong. pretty good.
T- of course. The Hold Steady was a total dude fest. A friend said something like, "if you're going to be in a rock band AND be faithful to your spouse this would be a good one to be in." to which another friend replied, "it's not exactly a john mayer concert is it?"
I had to think for a minute about this, but would say the concerts I most enjoyed would be The Cranberries at Salt Air, and Bush/Dave Matthews at the old Wolf Mountain.
Both concerts involved a considerable amount of non-purposefully inhaled weed though...so my enjoyment level may have been heightened some.
All time best concert was Lilith Fair in Winter Park Colorado. In high school, Ash, Nick & I heard about the concert and we planned to drive there and attend the concert. We planed the route and hotel stays and then asked M&D if we could go. Oddly, they let us.
The concert was awesome. We saw Mary Chapin Carpenter and Sarah. We were front and center- it was amazing. We yelled for her to play Winters Night, but she just winked at us. Wish we could all still just pick up and drive out of town for the weekend!
John-
How could I have forgotten the Moustache Heroes? Of course they're a favorite. Don't tell the boys. But, I did pick their leader and that has got to count for something.
Speaking of the band . . . the boys are ready to go.
I have two:
I second Adrianne. There was something about that Lilith Fair and seeing Sarah. It was so awesome. And somehow on that trip we felt like we were getting away with something. We couldn't believe Mushie and Papa let us go. It was awesome.
Ray Lamontange at Club Sound in 2005. It was unbelievable. Seriously. Loved every minute of it.
Who I want to see:
Enrique and The National ( not together, though that could be interesting...)
I have to say that over the years I have been witness to some of the biggest acts around. Some I was forced into out of pure love for my lady. from a quality standpoint I would have to give the nod to U2 I have seen them twice and they are one of the rare bands that sound better live than in person. People knock energy solutions arena for the accoustics but really I think the place just exposes shitty bands really quick. Personally though, The best concerts in my life have been ones that I have shared with my good friend John. Bob in cali or neil in park city It doesn't matter because those are the ones I will always remember.
Hootie and the blowfish I even got the Drummers drum stick. Wow I feel old!!!
Jared: Radiohead at the Greek
Coleen: Decemberist at the Wiltern with good seats because I was fat and pregnant or Ben Harper/Jack Johnson at Santa Barbara bowl because music and a view of the ocean are a perfect combo
NSYNC at the olympics! It's gonna be me.....
Jenny H- I think I love Farmington Canyon for the same reason.
A- that trip does sound fun.
Ash- That Ray show was awesome. And Enrique and the National would be a great fit. I hear they are doing a Record Store Day split EP.
Rett- oh the memories...
I notice you didn't mention Catfish Keith.
Neena- Let Her Cry...if the tears fall down like rain.
you know Darius Rucker is a country singer now? boots and everything.
Jared and Coleen- Radiohead hate Utah apparently, which is weird 'cuz Miley Cyrus loves utah and they are buds. I am jealous.
I would love to run into happy, pregnant coleen at a decemberists show. And just about anything that happens in Santa Barbara sounds fun to me.
Stacy- Those olympic concerts were sweet. We saw Marc Antony, and I can't lie, it was really awesome.
April 15, 2009 10:57 PM
five letter says it all-NKOTB
If you don't know what I'm talking about then you were obviously not a pre-teen girl in the early nineties.*
*This note intended for other readers, as hopefully it was already obvious that you John were never a pre-teen girl in any decade.
Jamie-
I am a bit jealous. Always wanted to see them. I did go to Janet Jacksons Rhythm Nation tour though. It was awesome. But it was not new kids.
ok ... i'm putting one in for the older folks....dylan under the stars, sitting next to my sister, her love david and my brother john!
the only thing better is a private concert with the above siblings - wow they are good!
I too went to the Janet Jackson Rythmn Nation concert Ash. Do you remember how she got sick after a few minutes and had to reschedule to a different date?
Jane and I pushed shopping carts down Kensington Street in Somerset instead that night.
Weird that I remember that.
And....I have seen NKOTB 2x.
They are pretty awesome.
Radiohead. And there's no close second. I was so engrossed the thing felt like it passed in a flash. Every song seemed to be about 30 seconds long and the 2.5 hour show felt like it went by in half an hour. Probably one of the 4 or 5 greatest days in my life.
Jenny, you'll be shocked to know that I totally remeber the Janet jackson night. Shopping carts and all! I loved Janets show!
My favorites though have to be Ray Lamontagne at the Wiltern and Dave Matthews at Wolf Mountain (good girls night too). I would love to add Michael Jackson in his prime to that list, but not sure his show would be quite the same now.
And speaking of the Hold Steady, I just saw this list of "songs you must hear now" in Esquire magazine. There was a Gaslight Anthem song listed there, and the caption said, "We always wondered what the Hold Steady would sound like if they had a guy that could sing, now we know."
Ouch!
After the Radiohead concert Tyler said, "This is the single best day of my life!" He somehow forgot that I was sitting in the back of the car.
Double Ouch!
Libby- I think I was taken to that Bob concert. I was two.
Jenny- wasn't one of those NKOTB shows recent? like last year? nothing to be ashamed of.
Hendu- second vote for radiohead.
Jane- Kenisigton is a pretty steep hill and how did you get a shopping cart from smith's to sommerset? that sounds great. Ray puts on quite a show, and that is the second vote for a show at the "wiltern." Never heard of it. I may have to sechedule a trip.
Hendu again- Gaslight anthem is a good band.
Stacy- I'm sorry. In his defense, weddings are long and involve lots of standing around...
My top 3 concerts have to be:
1- Radiohead in Boston this last summer! Far beyond anything I have ever experience before!
2- Janet Jackson Rythmn Nation Tour at the Salt Palace when I was maybe 8 yrs old...this is what made want to become a dancer
3- Jamie Cullum and Jonatha Brooke (not together, she was the opener) at the Hot Tin Roof on Martha's Vineyard....amazing performances and two of my favorite artists at the time!
Court- another score for Radiohead.
My two favorites-
1. Dylan in Pittsburgh 1994. I went with my mom the day before my grandmother's funeral.
2. Low at the Velvet Room, 2005. Dick Baldwin opened. They did an acoustic set with a bunch of the Great Destroyer songs and closed with Will the Night, which still kills me everytime I hear it.
Ray Lamontagne/Rachel Yamagata at Club Sound is up there too.
and Martin Sexton in a Logan theatre, 1997.
First...the Dick Baldwin I know?
Second...so not ashamed.
Third...I don't remember the part about how the shopping carts appeared...Jane??
In no particular order... some of my favorites:
Lilith Fair with Adrianne and Ashley... I have also seen Mary Chapin Carpenter with East Mountain South at some bookstore in NYC... and an amazing private Sarah McLachlan concert at the Barnes and Noble at Union Square- got autographed cds for my family! I have been to at least 3 Janet Jackson concerts... and Air Supply (first ever concert) and Tina Turner with my parents are all great memories.
Ray Lamontagne/Rachel Yamagata at Club Sound with John and Ashley was killer and the Enrique concert (that Ash didn't make it to) was amazing... I was so overwhelmed and hyper afterwards that my friends thought I was drunk at the after party concert (Hello Amsterdam).
oh man. i so wish i had been at that enrique concert with you. though giving up my ticket to go to connecticut was indeed the best decision.
i did try to win that new york get away competition to see him perform... and i didnt win.
maybe one day?
This is actually Aaron...Funny I read this question, 'cause #1, I was just asked it last night- while I was at the Death Cab/Cold War Kids/Ra Ra Riot show. And #2, I rarely read anyones blogs.
So back to the question. Last night I answered -it was either the Radiohead show at the Usana Amphitheater in UT many years ago or the Radiohead show at the Gorge in WA about 7 years ago. I've seen RH 3 times and they never fail to kill it.
Now that I think a little longer, the '94 Lollapalooza at the Gorge was amazing. Bands, venue, friends, road trip etc. The line up was: The Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, George Clinton & the P-Funk All Stars, The Breeders, A Tribe Called Quest, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, L7, Green Day. We were up front against the rail during all our favorites snapping shots w/ my point and shoot 35mm. They didn't have digital cameras back then nor did my cheap camera have a zoom lens. Yeah it was sweet.
You know this one, but I will remind you:
Bob Dylan, 1994, Pittsburgh PA, outdoors under the trolley tracks on the day we buried your grandmother. Just you, and me, our grief, and Bob.
Post a Comment