Wednesday, December 17, 2008

10 songs.

There is nothing objective about this list. These are 10 of the new songs I enjoyed most this year, in no particular order. They, along with 15 other 2008 favorites, can be found on the imix to the right. I thought it was a pretty fun year for music. Lots of new bands, lots of throwback sounds. A couple big names came up short in my mind (yes, I'm looking at you My Morning Jacket, but not just you.)
This list is not comprehensive. I'm sure there are notable exceptions. I hope you will direct me towards them. I will turn them on and see if Sophie dances. If she does, they goes on the list.

On with the list.

1. Kids- MGMT. Sophie has done some of her best living room dancing to this song. One of three MGMT songs that should be on this list.

2. Skinny Love- Bon Iver. February's album of the month. "come on skinny love just last the year."

3. Slapped Actress- The Hold Steady. Solid rock anthem.

4. The Re-Arranger- Mates of State. My second favorite indie rock husband/wife band singing about trying to make it work. "Love loud. don't lose loud." Great pop music.

5. White Winter Hymnal- Fleet Foxes. Classic folk harmonies, great building arrangement. Awesome beards.

6. Ashley- The Dodos. After years of waiting, my wife can put away the jealous rage she's been hiding when she meets people named Julia, Martha, or Gloria.

7. L.E.S. Artistes- Santogold. Tegan and Sara comparisons are appropriate for this song. So good.

8. Here's Looking At You, Kid- Gaslight Anthem. If the lyrics of Bob Dylan's "If You See Her Say Hello" and the music of Bruce Springsteen's "I'm on Fire" had a child.

9. I Don't Want to Grow Up- Hayes Carll. Great cover of Tom Waits classic. Singer's significantly less attractive than Scarlett Johansson though.

10. At That Day- Paul Jacobsen. Hope breaking through apocalyptic destruction. "under tables, under door frames, we'll find what we're looking for, at that day."

There may be an album of the year list coming up. I apologize. I can't help myself.

16 comments:

Ashley C. said...

let me set the record straight... it was none of those songs that made me jealous, it was jefferson starships "sarah". no lie.
but now i am satisfied.
i love you. thanks for always finding fun good new music for us to listen to.

Ashley C. said...

ps- i am excited to put that playlist on my ipod. perhaps the kids will let me listen to that in the car instead of hsm 3 soundtrack!

Tyler and Stacy: said...

So White Winter Hynmal won out? I can tell you were in real agony over that decision last what. Tis a great song.

Tyler and Stacy: said...

That should have said "last night."

sterlingandbrandi said...

Thanks John. It is VERY convenient for me to have you list all the songs for the list you would make us if Sterls and I were closer to home. And it must be nice for you to not have to always burn us a mix. Plus I just really love a good mix. I hate sorting through albums myself for the best one. My horse-faced husband thanks you too.

E.F.G. said...

have you tried playing her the kanye album? he'll probably be ruling the world as hiphop king soon, you may want to get her ready. but you know, find the edited version.

Everyday Sparkles said...

I can't wait to spend one of these snowy days going through and sampling all of your picks. Thanks! I love new finds!

Sorry we have not yet been over. We have had the bug in our family and don't want to spread it.

Tell Ruby we love her and I can't wait to buy her clothes.

john said...

no Ray Lamontagne? No Vampire Weekend? what kind of list is this. Sorry Ash.

Let's go with A-Punk for Vampire weekend so the kids can listen, even though I'd probably rather listen to Oxford Comma with headphones.
and
Meg White for Ray Lamontagne.

i feel better now.

Jenny H said...

I've downloaded myself an early Christmas present-thank you very much!
I will Deak- test it tomorrow. He's a tough critic, and generally prefers any song played on yo gabba gabba.

john said...

Ash-is HSM really just for the kids...be honest. I love you.
Hendu- it was a tough call. thanks for being there to talk me through it.
Brandi- I miss you and your horse faced husband.
EFG- so glad you're ok. Did you hear of Colbert's "Operation Humble Kanye"? very funny.
Jeni- Sorry everyone's sick. Get well soon. then come over.
jenny h-Deak could do worse. Yo Gabba Gabba is pretty hip. The Lullabye song by Mark Kozelek on the episode about sleep is one of my years favorite songs for sure. the list of great bands that have been on that crazy show is incredible. Low, shiny toy guns, the shins, smoosh, etc.

Jenny H said...

So...I am loving the Ben Iver song. Is the entire albu
that good? And, was that the crazy bearded chainsaw guy?

john said...

I think the whole album is really good, Jenny.
and yes, he is the crazy bearded guy from February.

Kori and Brad said...

Yes! New music to listen to. John - you always made good recommendations! (Still have a bunch of Ani DiFranco on my ipod from the BYU days)

Jenny H said...

Thanks. I am downloading the whole album. He sure doesn't sound like a serial killer.

Jane said...

John you are the best! I love the updates so I can be lazy about it and just take your word for it. Bon Iver has been my Christmas travel album. Saw them on Letterman right before I left for the holidays. Great album. Merry Christmas.

kate said...

I never fully trust my taste in music until it's validated by John Conners. So, thanks for some validation plus some new picks. And keep burning cd's for Trav and Heidi...they usually make their way to me in some form or another.