She is here. All 6 pounds 11 ounces of her came face up into the world at 7:18 pm. She seems to be healthy. She has eaten and been washed and is now, I imagine, resting peacefully in the nursery. Ashley was a champ. Due to some thoughtless planning on the part of the Dodo (who closed today in order to host a company party) Ash did not eat the traditional turkey sandwich post delivery. Cafe Rio rose to the occasion. I don't know how it is for other women, but "first food eaten after delivery" is information only slightly less important to Ashley than weight of the newborn. So, with no further ado, our announcement reads as follows:
Ruby Louise Connors
Dec. 8, 2008
6 lbs 11.4 oz
20 inches
Cafe Rio Chicken Burrito
I left Ashley asleep at the hospital. I am home, looking after the two that came first. They are asleep and I am up too late, thinking of this same night nearly 3 and 5 years ago. Thinking of those first breaths and tears; all that pain and hope wrapped up in those little blankets. Child birth refined my definition of beauty a bit. Often, I say something is "beautiful" when I mean to say it is "tidy." It is clean, well put together, and easy to understand.
But that first breath is not tidy.
It's a tiny scream from a shaking little baby. A baby that looks nearly nothing like the cute clean child she will turn into over the next few hours and days. It's the conclusion to hours of watching this woman I want to protect get the life beat out of her. It is painful to watch, and I am assured by Ashley, more painful to take full part in. As a whole, it's pretty gnarly.
Still, it's beautiful. Completely beautiful. And not in spite of it all.
Thank you to all of you who care to meet this little girl. We want her to meet you too.
More pictures later.
37 comments:
Love Ash! I have my first meal request already in with Jar. Can't wait to meet Ruby.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Heidi tends to go for a foot long Gandolfo.
Ash,
I am so happy for you. I hope the Dodo pulls through today sometime! You are lucky that you get to eat afterwards, the whole c-section, major surgery, don't eat for a very long time afterwards is painful in itself. I tried to eat after Kalli Kay dispite my Doc's wishes and I got very sick. I promised to follow the rules the next time. Ruby is beautiful. Love, Bkay
She is adorable, congratulations!!!
I hope you are feeling good. I love the name Ruby! Can't wait to see more pictures.
i am so proud of ashley, and of you. she is pure beauty. thanks for sharing your thoughts and words. you are good parents. the kids love you. they were very excited when they heard the news and first saw her picture. "my ruby" parker proudly said through his binkie. sophie was anxious for more pictures and said that next to sophie hannah, ruby louise was the perfect name! she is anxious to be a good big sister. gram smiled softly, nodded her head and said "that is good".
We're so happy for you guys. I had no idea that I am supposed to be planning the first food...
That was a beautiful post.
Beautiful Baby Girl.
I agree; nothing in this world is more beautiful than the first breath. It creates meaning.
(PS- I almost crashed my car while reading this post on my phone while driving this morning...the tears fogged my view. Or maybe, the fact I wasn't paying attention to the road was the problem. Either way...I will now read your posts in a stationary room.)
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for you and your family. Ruby is darling...just like the others. Rest up and we'll talk to you soon!
Beautiful baby. And beautiful words to go along with the birth of a child. She is one lucky girl and will know of nothing but love. Congrats you 4! We will be intruding to get my hands on her shortly...
Ash and John-
we are soooo happy for you guys! your little early christmas miracle. I am glad that all went well and look forward to catching up soon. Cafe rio burrito, i think that would be my vote for post delivery meal! let's hear it for beautiful babies and delicious food!!!!!!
Congratulations! Beautiful Ash and Ruby!! And John your words are so tender they made me cry! Love you guys!! Glad that all went so smoothly! (the pam really helped he he he!!)
oh I wish I could have been there so badly but I'm so excited to see baby ruby this weekend! She is beautiful and I can't wait to meet here. And your post made me cry and I'm in the middle of class- it's an awesome combination. Congrats:)
John and Ash,
She's lovely! Your whole little (now bigger) family is lovely and I miss you guys so much. I'm excited to meet the new little one in a couple weeks. I think I annoyed my roommate to death last night because I kept randomly shouting out "I have a new baby niece"...every once in a while a strange joyous dance accompanied it. I'm really excited for you and can't wait to meet little Ruby!
Not to forget, on this night of nights, that Tatiana was led by the spirit to make a Toll House Pie for the neighborhood party, (which she cut and sent to the hospital before the party started)so in spite of the DODO being closed for their employees holiday celebration, Ash DID get her Toll House Pie.
You guys are charmed!
And I love all of you!
Gummy
Ahh Ash, she's finally here and she's beautiful!! You now have the trifecta, the hat trick, the threesome, and you're still so, so young! Congratulations! What a joyous little Christmas package!
Love you!
Congrats! I'm glad that everything went well. I love the name Ruby. Can't wait to see her.
I am so excited for you guys - Ashely I feel your excitement of having that baby out of you and being able to REALLY enjoy food again :). She is so tiny and beautiful. Congratulations!!!
I love her! Good work, mom and dad.
Yeah! Congratulations! Thanks for trying to understand what Ash is going through- you're a good husband and daddy.
Yippy!! Congrats you guys!! Ruby what a beautiful name! We are Thrilled for you! :)
Congratulations! She is So Cute! And we can't wait to meet her and see more Pictures!
Congrats guys! I'm so happy for you and your little family. Way to bring such beautiful little children into this world. Good luck with the recovery Ashley.
CONGRATS you guys. She is beautiful--of course! December babies are the BEST. :) (Amanda 12/3, Justin 12/30... hehe)
Love,
Cracrofts - Justin & Amanda Chapter
I love her already! Congratulations John, Ashley, Parker and Sophie. We love you guys!
COngratulations!!! I am so happy she is here safe and sound. Can't wait to see her. The Holidays with a newborn is extra special.. We did this exactly 2 years ago on Dec 8th too... Love to your family! Omer
no butt shot? i feel jipped! congrats anyway she is pretty freaking cute.
Congratulations! Ruby is beautiful!
John and Ash- Love you guys and this new little Ruby. I am so excited to get to know her little personality. You make beautiful babies.
So funny about the post delivery meal! I totally agree with the importance of such items - plus, take the pampering while you can! Congratulations - she looks so cute.
I was reading this post out loud to my family and I had to stop and let my mom take over I couldn't get any words out. We love you guys and are so excited for you. Wish we could be there to give Ruby lots of kisses! Love you
I have made my camera-phone picture of Ruby my backdrop...So I got to look at her beautiful eyes all day! I love you! Thanks for letting me hang around and savor in the beauty of the evening. Welcome Home!
Ruby is beautiful. Congratulations. Adam can't wait to meet her.
Maybe I am a little sappy but I totally cried when I read this entry. and Ruby is Beautiful. Congrats. And I think that Cafe Rio was a nice choice too.
John, Your post was powerful, what sweet and tender memories it brought with it. We are so excited that Ruby is here safe and sound. She is "beautiful" in every sense of the word. Ashley I have to say you just looked beautiful this whole pregnancy, mostly because you are beautiful, but something radiated in you that was just wonderful to see! We love your little family and look forward to meeting Ruby. With lots of love, Cindy....and Rob
John and Ash,
I am super-late, but have loved reading your blog, and feeling like I am there in your home. Congratulations on sweet Ruby! I laughed out loud at the announcement that included the burrito information. : ) You guys are such wonderful people; I wish that I could be around you more often. Oh well, I will look forward to times ahead.
Merry Christmas, Connors!
Love, Mary B.
John and Ash,
I am super-late, but have loved reading your blog, and feeling like I am there in your home. Congratulations on sweet Ruby! I laughed out loud at the announcement that included the burrito information. : ) You guys are such wonderful people; I wish that I could be around you more often. Oh well, I will look forward to times ahead.
Merry Christmas, Connors!
Love, Mary B.
That WAS a beautiful posting John. Congratulations on a beautiful family.
Post a Comment