Tonight I am tired. Pregnant tired, maybe. Life tired, I think. The kind of tired that is unexplainable to my sweet husband who wonders if I will ever be the nice person he married all those years ago. Before hormones of pregnancy one, two, and three reared their ugly head. Tired because putting my kids to bed tonight took WAY too long and was way too emotional. I think Sophie came upstairs six times, and Parker had a ginormous meltdown about everything regarding bedtime tonight. I thought about this little one kicking away in my belly- and it made me tired, not that I am not excited, because I am, but tired thinking about adding more chaos to the chaos that already exists in this little house.
And before you get too bored reading about me being tired, I shall share with you my new found talent.
The other day Sophie colored a page super well. I told her one of her talents was coloring. This is the conversation that followed:
S: What's a talent?
A: You know, something that you are good at.
S: Like my coloring.
A: Yep. What do you think another one of your talents is?
S: Um, dancing and karate. ( mind you she doesn't know a thing about karate...)
A: Oh really. Those sound good. What is one of Daddy's talents?
S: Guitar!!!
A: Yah, What about Parker?
S: Going to sleep. ( This is very debatable...it really is one of his non-talents... is there such a thing?)
A: Ok, What is one of Mommy's talents?
Super long pause. No answer. No answer.
A: You know... something Mom is good at, anything.
S: I know... driving!!
Well. Better something than nothing. And my sister Adrianne pointed out that this isn't our own mother's talent.. so maybe it is worth being excited about.
(and no offense Mushie... you have other talents...a whole lot of them)
22 comments:
i SO relate to the tired of putting kids to bed. it gets so old! i LOVE that sophie said that. i think my kids would just say my talent is talking on the phone or something pathetic. you always have been quite the amazing driver, ash. wahoo!
those kids were crazy tonight. and the steelers were losing while they were being crazy- so there were bad vibes everywhere.
then, in a moment of mccain like erratic-ness (is that a word- or should it be "erraticism",) I shaved my head.
and all this with a small human kicking around in your belly.
yet you kept your cool.
no wonder you're tired.
There's another great Beatles double play. "I'm so tired" followed by "Blackbird."
Here is a greater challenge Hendu- find two consecutive bad Beatles songs.
Ash, I am not the best driver, in fact I'm terrible, be proud of your talents.
If only my chaos was at bedtime, my day would be so much more pleasant, but no, I get to have constant meltdowns from my little princess just about every hour!! Wahoo!! But, I can make a mean pear pie....yeah horray for talents.
Putting my kids to bed will literally bring out the monster in me. Even rational problems that need solving like, "Mom, I need to pee." are met with really onry responses. It is draining...being a mother and keeping the peace. We need bedtimes to be smooth, or at least I do.
You are full of talents, too many to list, but most significant in my mind is humble and kind.
Both talents that are sometimes hard to come by...
Oh Ash, I know exactly how you feel. Bedtime is my least favorite time of the day. Why is it SO hard?
I love you and ALL your talents, and I love your kids and I can't wait to meet that little one kicking you from the inside out!
You are so cute and honest and real . . . and I love that about you! I am going to surprise you with a treat! A good treat always does the trick.
send sophie my way. I can give her a whole long list of her mom's talents.
Also, thank you for such kind words in your comment on my blog. There are people in this world that you want to know and keep friendships with and you are definitely one of them in my book.
tonight sophie was a bit surprised to learn that her momma could play the guitar too! she said her momma had a pretty voice but didn't know that she wrote songs! and her mom was nice, that's a talent right! i couldn't agree more. so ... here's to ash and her hidden talents!
Frankly it makes me tired thinking of all your gazillion talents. Speaking of which, you now have multiple Ashley's Strawberry Salad fans in Kansas City, MO (basically everyone I make it for LOVES it). And somehow in your chaos (what would life be like without chaos? I have no idea...!), you seem to keep it all together and make everything beautiful that surrounds you - including people.
Love and miss you - but can't wait to see you and family, including baby 3 in January!
By the way, I think we should all start talking up our talents we don't really have. If Sophie can be awesome at Karate without ever doing it, then I think my newest talents are going to be playing the harp, breakdancing, and speaking Japanese.
I hope you rest up in Mexico. And let me tell you, good driving is an excellent talent to have in Mexico. Driving down there scares th bejeebees out of me.
Ashley's talents: damn good chocolate chip cookie maker, good swimmer, nice, friendly, thoughtful, artistic (i should know- i can't draw, paint, or color to save my life) fantastic house designer/decorator, & great lunch buddy!
Yes...Ashley. You sell yourself short! I have some talents to add: How about most consistent book club member ever, excellent cook & baker of treats, and last, but not least, #1 Ashton Kutcher fan. You are overflowing with awesome talents. :)
You make good cookies! You are a good sister...You are a good shopper...you have great taste...and I think you are very talented!
Driving--I don't know about that one. We took driver's ed together and I think our teacher told us that we were some of the worst drivers he'd ever seen including people that didn't speak English! ha ha.
I guess you've improved a lot in 12 years!
Bed time drama is the worst! It's the end of the day and you have NO MORE patience. I love and hate when 8:00 comes b/c I know Logan will tell me the endless reasons why he shouldn't go to bed. I'm in trouble when Cameron starts talking...it will be double the work. Right now he can't agure. Even thinking about the third makes me nervous!
I beg to differ!!! Your Mother is an amazing driver...who else can back into a post and totally mash the side of the car after just getting an estimate for the previous damage?????
Besides...we will have this discussion after you have sat in the passager seat while you help five teenager "know it alls" learn how to drive! It does permanate brain damage that allows you to only drive the speed limit...don't forget I went to traffic school for a speeding ticket this summer!
Love you all..you make me smile!
Mom
Post a Comment