For my own sake, I will try to be better.
MAY- Two of my old favorites battled it out this month for top honors. In fact, I'm tempted to give them a tie since they have actually played together on the same bill in Utah. In 2006 Mates of State opened for Death Cab for Cutie in Orem. In 2008, both bands released notable albums in May. Try them both. Or if you wish to merely sample both, try "Bixby Canyon Bridge" or "Talking Bird" from the Death Cab's Narrow Stairs, and definitely try "The Re-arranger" and "Get Better" from Mates of State's Re-Arrange Us.
JUNE- A very good month for music. Particularly nice for Sub Pop records, with the highly anticipated releases of Wolf Parade and Fleet Foxes albums- both of which were good. They were outdone though, in my mind, by Sam Phillips new album Don't Do Anything. Great gritty electric guitar, beautiful piano, McCartney-esque chord progressions- this is a great album. Try "Can't Come Down," "Another Song" or "Shake It Down."

JULY- The Hold Steady's Stay Positive. No contest. Easy contender for top five of 2008. Great band. Great album. See them live if you can. They expand only slightly on their high energy, classic rock meets indie storyteller sound here, but it was a pretty solid sound to start with. I'm a sucker for it. Some people can't stand it. You make the call. Try "Stay Positive," Sequestered in Memphis," or "Lord, I'm Discouraged."

And that is all. Defend your favorite.
12 comments:
I totally agree with July' choice.
Reliability is the Hold Steady's calling card, and on Stay Positive they don't stray far from the tried-and-tested combination of orthodox guitar rock and gritty, observational lyrics. Horns, talk-boxes and harpsichord add a little extra colour, while some of the hamstrung characters have moved on to adulthood, but the core concerns are unchanged. Finn expertly dissects disappointed lives, where religion, sex, drink and drugs offer both freedom and imprisonment.
I found it very stirring and it seemed a soundtrack to my own tortured existence.
search that one if you dare...
points for enthusiasm Trav.
I look foward to my appearance in your tortured existence next weekend.
can we eat Payson raspberries?
nothing says tortured existence like raspberries.
John, I read this post like an eavesdropping, uninvited guest; unable to decode the language. I have no clue who the hell you're talking about. It's not like Sophie, Parker, the mouse or anything I have recently assimilated.
Yet....I am compelled to hear your monthly picks. How could anyone not? You're convincing with your word, John. It's a freaky ability you have with that pen. Just gets me every time.
Guess I'll be looking into things.
I love good music recommendations. I'll check them out and let you know my fav. I've also been meaning to tell you, but you had too many post-show groupies around, your last performance with your Mom was beautiful. I still have the comment card to give you so that I'm notified when the cd comes out.
I love the mates of state album....I sing it at the top of my lungs while driving in my car....very catching, fulfilling and fabulous!
I can't really argue with any of those. I need to give the Mates of State album some more eartime, but I think my favorite of these is the Hold Steady.
Sheesh, these months were so long ago I can barely remember what I liked. Going off of memory...
May -- Death Cab by lack of any real competition. Didn't love the album (though the last track is awesome), but May was a downer so they win by default.
June -- The toughest month of the year. Stunners from Fleet Foxes, Wolf Parade and Shearwater. I've spent a long time trying to determine which I liked most of the three, but for now the verdict is the Fleet Foxes.
July -- Another month kind of like May, so I guess I'll go with the E Street Band fronted by Elvis Costello. Er...The Hold Steady.
Something Johnny will like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmZfV6tqbTU
Parker and I saw shearwater in store at slowtrain downtown on Saturday. Parker danced around to the good songs and looked as confused as I felt by some of the strange one. There are some really odd songs on that album, but rook is one of the songs of the year in my mind.
thanks for the link tyler. I do enjoy a good dylan cover.
I'm beginning to taste a hint of alt. country in your indie/electronica tastes- which would make sense, you having been raised on a steady diet of Neil Young and maintaining a lifelong appreciation of Eddie Vedder. Soon you will be flip flopping on your earlier hardline anti-Matthew Ryan position. Embrace it, Tyler. Chant along with me, Matthew Ryan here, Matthew Ryan now.
ps. enjoy your visit from the mighty cougs this week. hows that for a solid two weeks. Radiohead, then your cougars. What can't you see in seattle?
September 3, 2008 7:32 PM
Yes, the hint of taste for alt-country is already there, though the taste for Matthew Ryan is not. Perhaps I will give him another shot, but the first time I found his voice/vocal delivery to be totally off-putting. I listened to every song on his myspace, and each time I liked the sound but as soon as he opened his mouth I couldn't take it and just turned it off.
Post a Comment