Thursday, September 11, 2008

good morning.

I looked out my big front window today. I live on a really beautiful, tree lined street and in front of every house today is a flag. It looks so neat. Late last night on the phone with a friend I was reminded that today is September 11th. She and the young women helped put them all up today. One of the emotions that September 11th always brings brimming to the surface for me is love. Weird, maybe... maybe not. It just seemed to shake people enough, or at least me enough, at the time- where I really felt love towards everyone. I wanted to hold the people I loved a little tighter, and I wanted them to know- for sure- that I loved them.

It seems like the blogging world allows you to step into people's lives so innocently. While there are blogs that are happy, funny,honest, and maybe not so honest- lately I have been touched by the blogs that have made my heart hurt. I have seen the nie nie buttons on people's blogs, and have started to read cjanerun to keep updated on the plane crash victims. I stumbled across my sweet friend from High School, Kim, who just found out her five year old has leukemia. My list could go on and on. I think everyone really is fighting their own battles the best they know how.

So, even if just for today, I am going to try better. I am going to hug my kids longer.I am going to be more patient. I am going to kiss my husband the second he walks in the door. And I am really going to try to slow down long enough to remember what really matters. And today, that started with a waffles for my kids, and waffles and a diet coke for me. Now I am going to go snuggle with my kids, while the dishes sit undone.

16 comments:

Adrianne said...

love you! I think about you all the time as I read these blogs and wonder about you raising my kids if something were to happen to me. Knowing that you would love them like they were your own.

Glad that we can both be trying to be better to love and enjoy our kids and husbands a little bit more today.

lbb said...

what a good reminder, ash. you are and have always been someone who i think defines loving others and looking after other people. you are a great example.
i, too, started my day off with similar fare...pancakes for the kids, and pancakes + mtn dew pour moi!
love it.

Courtney said...

thanks Ash for that good reminder! the graduate thesis piece that I am in at the U (That show Nov. 20-22) is about Sept. 11th. I have subsiquently thought lots about it recently.
I took a moment today to look thru pictures and videos of the day. Trying to remember what I felt that day and what I feel today remembering how awful that day was.
How blessed I am today. I love my family. I love my friends. I love my house. I love my jobs. I love that I get to dance and teach children to dance and celebrate life!

Kysha said...

What a lovely blogger you are. Thanks!

Tia said...

Good for you!! I loved this reminder...sometimes you've got to step back and take a breath.

This post reminded me of how I really liked the perspective on 9/11 that Extremely Loud took. Heavy boots...

Jenny H said...

I also think you are a great example of taking time to appreciate what's important.
Next time, can I come over for waffles and diet coke? That is a direct line to my heart :)

RETTJ16 said...

Great post!

Nickposh said...

commenting... on laughing so hard with you that I was crying today... remembering how many times I have turfed it, both in public and in private... and how cute you are about having your feet rubbed. I am so excited for you: your new car, new bathroom, new baby girl, and perhaps winning that contest to go meet Enrique. I know John would let me go with you!! I love you Ash... thanks for being a wonderful friend and sister and for sharing your blog thoughts with me.

RETTJ16 said...

wait...did i hear something about you getting a new car??? Noooo!!

Coleen said...

Thanks for the Monday reminder. I needed that.

Shannon said...

ash, you are so cute and fun. I am loving all of your posts. I hope by reading them more I can make mine better. let's get together. Love you!

racetri.com said...

first it's a picture of your salmon tacos and now this?

you shouldn't do it unless you are prepared to make some for all of us.

Liz said...

I know you wrote this last week, but when I read this, I started crying! You are very inspiring!

RETTJ16 said...

Hey Ash, we missed you at the game tonight...we lost cause you went there!!

RETTJ16 said...

K, sorry lets try this again...they lost because you were'nt there! There, that makes more sense!!:)

Christine Fotheringham said...

Hi! I just stumbled across your blog. Just wanted to tell you how fun it was to see you and John at the reunion . . . you guys are such an awesome couple. So fun to see you again!
Teeny