Friday, February 1, 2008

Where credit is due...

In the spirit of giving credit where credit is due, here is a list of a few things I have recently accepted to be true and said truth's harbinger.

TRUTH/TRUTH GIVER
1. Say Hi to Your Mom is acutally a pretty cool band/Brandi Sessions
I was hesitant at first.There is very little "critical" cred to hide behind. And they do sound kind of like a wimpy Smith's cover band sometimes. And the vampire obsession is a little too cutesy. But I do like me a good pop song. and who can argue with Sweet, Sweet Heartkiller? Additionally, one of my absolute favorite local bands, Atherton, will be opening for them, or him I guess, at Kibly in March.

2. Stabbing a double stuff oreo in the stuffing with a fork and then dipping it in milk until the bubbles stop rising is the most effective way to get a completely even soak on your cookie/ Scott Jacobsen
This is true. I still find myself craving the fingers in the milk sometimes though, and a really, really soaked oreo will still fall off the fork.

3. Sleeping in a hoodie may help you get sleep better/ Ashely Connors
I was worried that it would be uncomfortable but I was wrong.

4. A blue tooth headset is a must have in construction/ Jared Parker
I think these things look really dumb and I am embarassed to be seen wearing it, but, I can install baseboard and talk to my wife at the same time. And it's more safe behind the wheel.

5. Once you have a DVR you will never view tv the same again/ Rett Jaques
true. The master/servant roles have changed. With this wonderful technology I get drinks, answer the phone, and get more salsa at my leisure. I make the rules now. But I find myself watching more TV, even amidst a writer's stike! I know there is no new 30 rock. I know there is no new edisode of the Office. But still I scroll through the guide. "OH, This is Spinal Tap starts in 2 hours, and World's Most Dangerous Jobs is on. He's cleaning a dingy in the San Franisco bay. I have the power to watch at my fingertips. I will make time later. Record. Record." And with each click of record the TV regains its control over me. My happy season as ruler will be short. I can feel it in the air already. Soon the TV, like the flat screened ring of power it is, will have it's way with me again. I am weaker than the hobbits. Yes, Rett was right. Regardless of whether or not the DVR will a great thing for me in the long run, I will certainly never view the TV the same again.

Among propositions currently being considered are:
1. Radiohead is the most important band ever. (or some variation of that.)/ Tyler Henderson
2. Rock Band is better than Guitar Hero/ Myself
3. Barack Obama is the best canidate for President/ Edward Kennedy and Common
4. Jon McCain is the best canidate for President/ The Terminator
5. Mitt Romeny is the best canidate for President/ owner of mini van next to me in traffic today
6. Hilary Clinton is the best canidate for President/ Maya Angelou


the truth is out there. here's to the quest.

6 comments:

Tyler and Stacy: said...

"Radiohead is the most important band ever."

Quoted for truth.

auntie libby said...

Maya Angelou has come out in support of Barak Obama last I heard!

sterlingandbrandi said...

Henderson 1997 would have said that Tupac was the most important band ever. Would that have been true?

sterlingandbrandi said...

I rock! I knew you would succumb to Say Hi to your mom, however, I personally believe that John Cougar Melancamp holds the title of the most important band of al time, yes I said John Cougar, not that crap released under John Melancamp.

Tyler and Stacy: said...

Tupac is not a band. Otherwise he would be in the mix.

Ashley C. said...

1997 henderson does have a point. It's hard to argue with Tupac. Literally, it is a bad idea to argue with tupac, especially in 1997, which is the time 1997 henderson occupies. I mean, whose gonna argue with a guy who's "44 'll make sure all yo kids don't grow?" Pac, if you're reading this, you are the most important band ever. please, don't touch my kids.