Saturday, February 16, 2008

an endorsement

I am officially endorsing the already mega (and perhaps over) hyped* Vampire Weekend as favorite album of January 2008 and asking all my delagates to vote likewise.




It's a fun album, particularly if you wished Paul Simon's Graceland was a little less wimpy. Or if you have ever thought, "I guess you could argue The Clash saved rock and roll but Joe Strummer's post-Clash career was just as good." Or if you have ever thought, "saved rock and roll my foot! Rock and roll needs saving about as much sexy needs bringing back. I swear every five years someone saves rock and roll. Didn't they say that about the Strokes too! and what did they ever do" Or if you like the Strokes.

With highly anticipated (at least by me) releases from Wolf Parade, the Mountain Goats, Kathleen Edwards, Death Cab, Brit Daniel (of Spoon), Colin Meloy (of the Decemberists), The Headlights, and maybe (cross your fingers) Paul Jacobsen landing this year I can't imagine this album will be one of my top ten albums of the year. But I do like it. So there you go.


Editors note: After a stint living in England and 4 years of construction the offensive effect of the so called "curse" words has been dulled, if not entirely eradicated, from my soul. I accept full responsibility for any offesense taken by any listener/viewer of any album/movie I suggest and invite said offendee to call and swear at me all they want. But, as fair warning, Mom, you might not like the lyrics on some of these songs.


*A favorite music blog recently wondered, "when did it become so cool to be the first to get sick of something?" Ask the next hipster you see.

12 comments:

Treidi said...

Comment 1
I like you have had my curse word senses dulled by the Brits and construction. When I first met Heidi's family we were having a connect 4 tournament and upon losing uttered the classic "dammit to hell".

Treidi said...

Comment 2
Nice music advice. Despite my realization that you were receiving music tips from fox's OC you will forever be our inside man on the upcoming indy scene.

Treidi said...

Comment 3
Book advice. You should read Cormac Mcarthy's book "the road" it was unbelievable. I still feel weird from reading it. (In a good way)?

sterlingandbrandi said...

I have to say that I have only heard Vampire Weekend occasionally on the radio (since I don't watch the OC) and I don't know about the sound of the lead singers voice. However, I am open to having my eyes opened if need be. Please tell me the #1 song to check out to make it or break it.

sterlingandbrandi said...

Comment #2: Don't you think part of the hipster music scene is being so different from everyone else and/or being the first to know about a band. If you concede this point, I think it follows that if you want to be the hippest of those oh so hip hipsters, you are 1st to be sick of something because it implies you were the first to hear it 20 million years ago.

sterlingandbrandi said...

And I accuse you of this because you were the first to be sick of my beloved Blue October.

Ashley C. said...

That was cold trav. That seth cohen did have some fly taste though. Still, the hipster in me takes offense. But I'm trying to drown him out anyway. Nevertheless, you can talk to my wife next time you call. maybe she can explain why we're no longer connecting.

Tyler and Stacy: said...

I've been dying to hear this album since it came out but friggin' emusic won't make it available (at least the label won't) in the U.S.!!!
It was on sale at Easy Street the other day for $7.99 so maybe I'll just buy it. Boo!

Heidi Louise said...

John if I remember correctly you still owe me and Tia CD's you were "supposed" to burn for us after the reunion... I think to make up I would like you to burn a copy of this album in additon to what you already owe me. Deal? If not... I will just go to Gram and complain. She likes me!

Kysha said...

Casey reads blog and thinks to self - "I have always wished Paul Simons Graceland was a little less wimpy".

Also wondering...if I am so far behind the music scene that I only found out who Amy Winehouse was like 2 weeks ago then does that disqualify me from commenting on a Connors music blog. I feel a bit like Jim Carrey saying "big gulps huh? Alright!"

I mean I realize that the truth is this is something that I never really had in common with some of my best friends. When Hendu was on the cutting edge of hard core rap scene I was still calling Tupac Shakur - Two Pack Shaker.

So I have to ask, is it worse to continue in my ridiculou "on-my-way-to-being-one-of-those-
loser-know-nothing-about-music-dads" pathway or is it worse to blatanly poach music selections from your friends blog and then claim them for your own. I am torn on this one.

-Casey

john said...

casey-If you like it it's yours I say. Everybody is finding their music through some sort of filter-whether it be picthfork, or paste or spin or some other online/inprint publication, or any one of 10 million music blogs, or the 'we recommend' bin at the local record store, or your friend's album collection... all these great (though sometimes self-righteous and indier-than-thou) entities do is filter the unapproachable amount of new music down to a managable size. Then you can listen, decided if you like it, and if you like it, it's yours. Doesn't matter if you were the first of the last to find it. One of the things I've never really understood about the indie music scene is why what artists or albums you like is so tied to what everyone else in the world thinks about it. "oh, death cab was cool back in the 'you can play these songs with chords' days but now...you know, everybody likes them." so what. Be torn no longer.

john said...

Brandi, for general appeal purposes I would say try "a punk." classic old punk-pop sound (hench the clash mention) with language the kids can handle. You can also listen to "cape cod kwassa kwassa" and hear the Paul simon vibe. Then put Lilly to bed and listen to Walcott and Oxford Comma. Oh they're good songs. By then, you may be sold. Or you may just think "i don't get this crap" just like I once said of you beloved blue october.