We saw Juno this week. We liked it, quite a bit actually. I’ll be the first to admit that I am often suspicious of consensus opinion's merit -- sometimes 50 million Elvis fans actually can be wrong (consider the success of Toby Keith, roller shoes, reality TV, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, etc)-- but in this case, good job America. It is a pretty great movie. I was reminded as I watched just how important music selection is to a film. You can tell a lot about a movie from the music selection. I have even entertained a theory that you could predict much of a movies outcome, and certainly it’s general mood, from nothing more than it’s first song. This has proven to be only moderately applicable at best, but in the case of Juno, it actually works. The opening song is a quirky, folk love song. It’s got these crazy, childish lyrics trying to express a concept that seems a little more mature. The Kimya Dawson songs convey that same amusing juxtaposition. And so does the movie.
So, supposing that 2008, like the movie Juno, fits into the category of ‘events whose approximate outcome can be predicted with some accuracy by a thoughtful study of their opening song’ I will tell you what I have concluded about 2008, based solely upon the first song I heard. For me, 2008’s opening track was “Hey” by the Pixies. Had I planned this ahead of time I probably would have picked something else, by a band I am more attached to, but first is first, and “Hey” came on when I hopped in my car to drive home from Michael’s house. I will say this though, “Hey” is a pretty cool song. It really has one of my favorite guitar riffs. I’m listening to it now, in fact. I don't know how to post an mp3 here, and the explaination I wrote for the song would add too much length to this already oppressively long post. The song is worth a listen, if you can track it down. Man, what a nice guitar. But, back to the point, what does "Hey" say about my year? The way I see it, 2008 has only two potential outcomes.
2008 possibility 1:
My year is a sort of comedy/drama in the vein of High Fidelity written by a wanna-be Nic Hornby or possibly by Nic Hornby himself (to be determined around July.)
Quirky John Connors, convinced that he will not live past the age of 60, realizes that this his 30th year is the year for his midlife crisis. Emotionally lost, John engages himself in some witty mind dialogue, and makes many lists, including ‘the five best songs to begin your mid life crisis year to,’ and generally implodes. Sometime in late October John realizes that what he’s got already is pretty great and by Christmas all is well. He gives his wife a crappy, lo-fi home recording of him singing each of the five mid life crisis songs.
2008 possibility 2:
My year is an episode of This American Life.
(Ira Glass voice over): This week on the program POP MUSIC. How these short three minute semi-thoughts influence so much of our lives. Our show today in three acts; Act One: Title Track- Construction worker John Connors tries to determine what kind of year he will have based solely on the first song he hears on Jan. 1. Act Two: A Whore by Any Other Name- John desperately tries to figure how some of the more unsavory characters mentioned in the lyrics of his supposedly prophetic 2008 opening song fit into his ‘happily married with two kids’ life. Act Three: About A Boy- blatantly ripping off Stranger Than Fiction, John seeks out famed music critic, turned novelist Nick Hornby to help determine whether his year is a comedy or a tragedy. From WBEZ in Chicago, it’s This American Life.
So, supposing that 2008, like the movie Juno, fits into the category of ‘events whose approximate outcome can be predicted with some accuracy by a thoughtful study of their opening song’ I will tell you what I have concluded about 2008, based solely upon the first song I heard. For me, 2008’s opening track was “Hey” by the Pixies. Had I planned this ahead of time I probably would have picked something else, by a band I am more attached to, but first is first, and “Hey” came on when I hopped in my car to drive home from Michael’s house. I will say this though, “Hey” is a pretty cool song. It really has one of my favorite guitar riffs. I’m listening to it now, in fact. I don't know how to post an mp3 here, and the explaination I wrote for the song would add too much length to this already oppressively long post. The song is worth a listen, if you can track it down. Man, what a nice guitar. But, back to the point, what does "Hey" say about my year? The way I see it, 2008 has only two potential outcomes.
2008 possibility 1:
My year is a sort of comedy/drama in the vein of High Fidelity written by a wanna-be Nic Hornby or possibly by Nic Hornby himself (to be determined around July.)
Quirky John Connors, convinced that he will not live past the age of 60, realizes that this his 30th year is the year for his midlife crisis. Emotionally lost, John engages himself in some witty mind dialogue, and makes many lists, including ‘the five best songs to begin your mid life crisis year to,’ and generally implodes. Sometime in late October John realizes that what he’s got already is pretty great and by Christmas all is well. He gives his wife a crappy, lo-fi home recording of him singing each of the five mid life crisis songs.
2008 possibility 2:
My year is an episode of This American Life.
(Ira Glass voice over): This week on the program POP MUSIC. How these short three minute semi-thoughts influence so much of our lives. Our show today in three acts; Act One: Title Track- Construction worker John Connors tries to determine what kind of year he will have based solely on the first song he hears on Jan. 1. Act Two: A Whore by Any Other Name- John desperately tries to figure how some of the more unsavory characters mentioned in the lyrics of his supposedly prophetic 2008 opening song fit into his ‘happily married with two kids’ life. Act Three: About A Boy- blatantly ripping off Stranger Than Fiction, John seeks out famed music critic, turned novelist Nick Hornby to help determine whether his year is a comedy or a tragedy. From WBEZ in Chicago, it’s This American Life.
So, there you have it. That should cover my posts until Jan. 2009. Have a nice year.
1 comment:
I don't know if you check comments this far back but Wade and I just saw Juno last night. Good show- I bawled my eyes out. At one point, I turned to Wade to say something and he didn't respond and I had to ask him again. He said something like Oh sorry I am trying to listen the the music (per reco of John C).
Post a Comment