Monday, February 11, 2008

Good-bye old friend.

I was really hungry sunday night. The kind of hungry where nothing looks good anymore.
Except Dino Nuggets.
I have been known to steal a dino or two from the kids at the dinner table, but up until Sunday, I had been able to resist consuming them in any way that would allow these juicy, chicken based wonders to be designated my "main course." (even though the company website seems to recommend serving them as a meal with watermelon, grapes and curly fries.)

Dino nuggets are actually pretty good if you are waiting for a grilled chicken ceasar salad and you steal one from your son to satisfy the hunger for five minutes. But two days after the incident, I can say with conviction, dino nuggets should not be eaten as a meal.

The short story is this: Sunday night, between Amy Winehouse's "fresh from rehab" rendition of 'rehab' (btw: the Dapp Kings have got to be the greatest backing band in the world. Did you see those singers dancing? IT WAS AWESOME!) and the old man trifecta that was John Fogerty, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Little Richard I ate 15 dino nuggets. (For those who didn't watch the Grammy's that is about a 10 minute time span. A 1.5 nugget per minute pace.)
I have eaten very little since and enjoyed nothing.
In defense of the pre-cooked, breaded sirens, I should note that I far exceeded the recommended serving size. But this was not entirely my fault. First, I was hungry to the point of being irrational. It has been years since I released myself from any feelings of guilt or responsibility for the actions of crazy hungry John. Second, I am used to cooking enough nuggets to feed Sophie, Sophie's friend Henry, and Parker. That's roughly enough nuggets to fill a cookie sheet (about 15.) So, as a creature of habit, I cooked a full tray. I knew it was too many when I took them out of the oven. But then The Dapp Kings came on and I do love the soul revival sound and, well, the next time I looked at the plate the nuggets were gone. I checked the box and learned that 4 nuggets is the recommended serving size. That puts me just shy 400% of one serving. Sometimes you don't know you ate too much until 15 or 20 minutes later. Not the case here. It felt like an accidental overdose. I am only now starting to enjoy food again.

So to you, once revered Dino Nugget, tamer of wild childern, harbinger of of protien and fiber, I bid a somber farewell. I honestly think I can never eat one of you again.
RIP
Dino Nuggets.
Family Favorite (for the whole family minus Ashley) 2006-2008

13 comments:

Heidi Louise said...

Been there done that! My niece Kate loves them... I can say I would rather not eat than eat them at the moment.

Ashley C. said...

there were like 2 seconds between the time I posted this and the time you commented belnap. cat-like speed. You are, by the way, a connors family hero for helping gram when she was in the hospital. seriously.

heidi said...

I will have to read this story to Luke. He keeps asking for "fish fingers" (said in a British accent because of an episode of Charlie and Lola) for breakfast. Gross!

By the way, if you are going to hold a funeral for the Dino Nuggets, let us know. We are there. We'll bring the fish fingers!

J.R.G. said...

If you don't like Dino Nuggets, I would highly recommend NEVER eating chicken fries from BK.

sterlingandbrandi said...

Just yesterday, at the store Sterling and I were trying to think of protein sources that Lily would enjoy and we picked up a box of something similar and then decided against it. Wise choice I see now. (We did get chicken vienna sausages though, which still gives me a nervous feeling)

Tia said...

I have had a similar type of experience with too many different kinds of foods. Why, why, why? Thanks for the warning on the dino nuggets, though.

Ashley C. said...

ok seriously though honey... rip dino nuggets for you only. the kids still love them and i refuse to let go of the quickest and easiet semi healthy meal (well they are at least better than the wendys version fried in oil) that i have in my bag of tricks for those days when i just dont feel like cooking. you only ruined them bc you ate way too many- way too fast!Dino nuggets are still awesome and you are all invited to have them whenever you come over bc they will still be in my freezer!

Jenny H said...

Dino Nuggets are a staple in my house also...I am afraid I would have to deal with a 2 hour meltdown if I took them away.
John - Love the name of my bloglink. I'll have to show big Bill.

RETTJ16 said...

GOD BLESS THE DINO NUGGETS! I WAS ONCE STRANDED ON A ROOF TOP FOR SEVERAL DAYS AND LUCKILY I HAD A RESERVE BOX OF DINO NUGGETS TUCKED AWAY IN MY WAISTBAND.

Kerstin said...

Thanks for the tip- will pick a box up for Charlotte when we are out.

And really since you guys are the one the the good tastes I want to copy you- what color did you paint you family/kitchen? I need a good yellow/gold.

E.F.G. said...

maybe it's like rice for birds and those dinos expanded like crazy in your stomach. at least you aren't dropping a "staple" from your diet...

Kysha said...

I've had the same experience with Totino's Pizza Rolls.

Kysha said...

I like to get crazy with hot pastrami sammiches.

-Casey