The spectacularly consistent snowfall in Utah this season has provided more than its share of frustrations. Traffic has been a nightmare. I have had to literally dig myself a path out of my driveway more than a few mornings and I am constantly standing in snow at work. But, on the positive side, neither of my kids have ever seen this much snow, and seeing them so awed and excited is worth any number of long drives. After one of the big snows storms in January all the snow on our roof came crashing down in a giant avalanche. (Our roof is metal and this happens after every snow storm actually.) My childish mind instantly saw the potential for a sleding hill, and with the help of my neighbor, a snow blower, a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood, and three hours of spare time we created the first annual Connors' front yard sledding hill. It has been a success thus far, though Ashley would tell you that I obsess about the hill's maintenance way too much. I find myself wanting to groom it nightly, and, since fresh powder is not ideal for a sleding hill, I spend a fair amount of time working on it after each storm. Oh, but it is worth it. Here are some photos of the hill's season thus far. You may notice the height of the ramp increasing over time.
This is the most recent picture of the hill, in the beginning stages of it's weekly maintenance this afternoon. There has been a lot of snow this week. If this keeps up the hill will reach the roof soon. Here's hoping!
Sophie in action today.
7 comments:
Ah, the good old days. Great hill.. seems like a lot of love went into that creation. We've been snowless for so long I forgot what it looked like.
Hey John do what you can to keep that hill groomed until we come to town to visit! Lil and I will be there Mar 3rd thru the 11th and she's never gone sledding before.
Oh and good theory on the sledding preventing babymaking - Ster and I were cracking up. You should present that to the state legislature.
we will keep the hill groomed as long as we can. Anything to accomodate lily's maiden sledding voyage.
Thanks for letting us be a part of the sledding hill. I don't know if you remember but the day after we came over it snowed a ton. Wade was so stoked for you because he was hoping that it snowed enough that you cold fulfill your dream of sledding off your roof.
We are seriously getting close to the roof. John thought it might be a good idea last week... i said no. I am sure he will sneek out sometime without me seeing it and try it! I hope we make it through the winter w/o a trip to the er!
Post a Comment