On the positive side, the uptick in cell phone related car accidents has led to numerous scientific studies about the human brain and multi-tasking. Now multi-tasking is not exactly my bailiwick-I have never really been a great single tasker, frankly- so these tests have intrigued me.
And, it appears, finally vindicated me.
I have, in past moments of introspection, wondered why I can't fold the laundry while I recap the months new music releases with Tyler on the phone,
or keep working while I tell a story.
I have wondered why I can't watch a Jazz or Steelers game and still acknowledge the existence of a world outside the game,
or put the kids to bed while I consider this blog post.
or breathe air and not make a gigantic mess at the same time.
Why am I so spectacularly inefficient?
Why can't I do more?
The question has haunted me, as it has many men.
But no longer.
"The human brain has a crippling inability to do two things at once."*
Says neuroscientist Rene Marois, PhD.
"Case Closed. "**
Says I.
Thank you, science.
*I found this in February's "O" magazine, of all places. Like an atheist finding solace in the bible.
** well, not entirely closed. I have substantial empirical evidence suggesting that my wife can in fact do a mind blowing number of things at once, which forces me to conclude that either A) neuroscientist Rene Marois, PhD is wrong or B) my wife is functioning on something other than a human brain. This wrinkle warrants further investigation.
Up next: album of the month. I know you're excited. I feel it too.
9 comments:
ash is superhuman
You made me look like a fool, laughing out loud, alone in my office at work. Now, I might get caught for blog hopping and eating my breakfast at the same time...which could be considered multi-tasking and grounds for departure. Hmmm
Anyway, I made little telescopes for my ADHD kids a few weeks back reminding them that they can only focus on "one" thing at a time in order to be sucessful at school. Which happens to align quite well with your quoted research. Would you like me to make you a telescope??? You can choose your color.
I once read a study in college where men and women were put in a room containing various objects and told to take an inventory. A audio of someone telling a story played quietly in the background.
Upon leaving the room and being asked to recall the number of objects, men remembered most of them and many were unaware of any audio playing in the background. While women remembered considerable less objects, they were able to recall some of the audio-story. A little bit of both--multi-tasking.
It has giving me comfort: he's not ignoring me while watching the game--he really can't hear me.
I belive it is possible to do more thatn one thing at a time. Women everywhere prove this point every day. But even in Medicine it is has been found that there are more errors when we try to multi task.
Thank you John. My excuse for not being able to talk on phone and do something else at the same time was due to the shrinking size of telephones. They no longer lend to the ability to shrug one's should to the neck for a "craddle". I am glad that science has given me more concrete evidence that I can throw into the mix next time Erica asks why I have to sit down to talk on the phone.
Hilarious. However, I'm a multi-tasker. As a Mom you have to. I often give the boys their spelling test while stirring something on the stove folding laundry and packing lunches. It frees up time to watch The Bachelor. But I don't multi-task while driving. A major no no. Only if I am at a complete stop will you find me reapplying lipgloss.
No album of the month discussion is needed. January saw the release of not a great monthly album, not an album of the year contender, but one of the very best albums released this decade.
babe-
dont give up just because science says so...
i still believe that it is possible to take the trash out while talking on the phone!
i love you and your cute non-ability to do two things at once.
Wait!! What?? 'Your brain won't let you do more than one thing at once?' And Rett told me his brain wouldn't let him do even one thing! Ha!!
Post a Comment