Wednesday, January 21, 2009

good day

Today John stayed home. He is doing his annual break from Construction to work ten days at the Film Festival. This is year seven. He says it is fun- but is always happy to leave the hotel world at the end of the ten days and go back to his real job. I am always somewhat jealous of the list of celebrities that know him by name, and I appreciate the random text messages throughout the day telling me who he just saw/talked to... like Saturday, it was Mariah Carey, Jim from the Office and Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie, who were together singing an accapella version of Mariah's #1 hit "Dream Lover" in three part harmony.*

To my point... John stayed home today because he is working on Saturday. Instead of the usual mundane Wednesday tasks like attempting to clean the house, folding the 4 baskets of laundry currently on my bedroom floor, avoiding the nasty nasty inversion, and maybe even going to the grocery store ... we hung out as a family. This is shocking because since Ruby was born we really haven't done a fun little family thing. We have tried to stay low key to avoid exposing Ruby to RSV and the paparazzi**. All four of us- all except Ruby- have been sick these past couple days so we went out. We drove up to Park City to see blue skies and went to lunch at Legers. After spending way too much on Park City priced chocolate milk for the kids we went up to the Lodge to see the Sundance Channel people that John works with during these ten days. It was so fun. They are good people and they loved, loved, loved Ruby... this of course softened my heart even more and I loved them even more. Funny how that works.

John took Sophie and Parker sledding on the Deer Valley ski hill for a minute since it was after ski hours and to Parker's total delight we drove around the hotel garage in a golf cart. Okay, as I am typing this it is sounding like we really need to get out more.

To my final point... It was really fun to hang out with my little family today. I know if John stayed home everyday and had no job and we just went places and spent money at overpriced establishments that it might one day get old... but then again, it might not. It was mighty fun today.

And if John sees Ashton Kutcher... he is instructed to profess my love to him. Which I am sure will be awkward for all people involved.

* okay, the three part singing thing didn't really happen.
** Also, not true. No papparazzi at our house.




Also included in the good day: a sweet phone call from my Dad who I adore, and a very fun and yummy dinner visit from my Hayden Peak girls. Thanks girls and Dad.

17 comments:

auntie libby said...

yeah for the good day of adventure. i miss u guys so get better soon. i need a ruby fix. i saw soph and parker at gummy's but that was not long enough either. guess i better come see them.

big hugs to you all.

coriconnors said...

Oh my goodness what a great day! And I love the way you write, Ashey! I love what matters to you. Remember that day when I went to the post office at Christmastime, when the lines were long and people were a bit on edge (including me) and I walked to the inner doorway and looked through the glass at this little blonde haired girl in snow boots and a lovely blue priness dress and I said "Thank you Lord for whatever mother brought her daughter out to us in this wonderful uniform of childhood", and when I opened the door that little princess turned around in a pirouette and behold...it was SOPHIE! You sealed the heart of your mother-in-law, which you had already won years before. You bless us all!
One more thing...on these wonderful adventures would you please hand the camera to John sometimes so you can prove to your children that, Yes, their mother WAS actually there for all of their childhood!

sterlingandbrandi said...

I do have to say that those pictures and that story did produce some warm fuzzies! I love those days too of just doing stuff with the little family. It never happens enough. I agree with Cori though, Mom needs to be in the picture sometimes too! (And I am really jealous of seeing Jim from the office... and a three-part harmony of Dream Lover would be FANTASTIC!!!!)

Brianne said...

Ash, that day sounds perfect. Good for you guys!

P.S. If John ever needs an assistant...

Jenny H said...

I love your good day, and agreed with Cori...you definetly have the right idea of what matters. I am glad you all spent the day together, and ate yummy food.

Tyler and Stacy: said...

When you've met Tom Welling is it even exciting to meet anyone else? I can't imagine it is.

Coleen said...

Love a good day with a family. I asked for a golf cart for Christmas because I think riding around in a golf cart could make any toddler/kid/mom happy, so love that Parker and love the fact that you proved my point by riding around in a garage .

Wow! Who knew John was so Hollywood. I am glad Ruby did not get sick. Anya is sick and it is no fun.

E.F.G. said...

this sounds like a delicious day! thanks for sharing it with us. if only john could take more days off...if only (big sigh).

and on another, slightly related note, remember that awesome hat john gave me. the one with the fuzzy ear flaps that he got working somewhere fancy--like a film festival maybe? the one i thought was so stinking cute but still wasn't sure i'd wear a hat. well, i wear it. it is just about the only thing that keeps me warm these days. i wear it and...i get tons of compliments. so thanks, for the hat that is way cooler than i am.

Everyday Sparkles said...

That was fun to read and yes, I would like to hear how John would explain to Ashton that his wife is madly in love with him. That would be great to watch. Oh, and if John sees Enrique, Jeni sends her love and is very much available. ha ha

Eric said...

I love unexpected days like that! So much fun. I would like to have a husband home all the time and see if it does get old :). You have such a cute family!!

lbb said...

Yay! I'm so glad you guys got out of this mucky inversion! Family time, especially spontaneous, is the best. You guys remind me of us...getting such joy out of the simple things, like golf carts, or chocolate!
Love your blog and you.
boyer

Kysha said...

Looks like a great day. Way to go for it and get out with the whole fam (we're still adjusting to it). That Sophie looks so grown up in those pictures--she's too cute!

Lauren Parker said...

i love all these pictures! especially how sophie is posing in all of them. she looks sooo big and she is getting prettier every day! your day sounded like it was just what you needed :] i love you and miss you!

Liz said...

I need to take my kids up there, especially when the ski day is over. I'm glad you had a chance to do something fun with all your little ones. Sorry I missed you the other night :)

Becky said...

Sounds so fun- I am jealous. I dont think Ive ever really met anyone famous.

Kerstin said...

Wade and I were in Park City yesterday and saw signs for the Sundance Film Festival and felt a tinge of jealousy thinking of all the people John would meet and all the goods you would get. When can I see you?

RETTJ16 said...

A very good day!!!