Monday, January 19, 2009

A certain kind of fire

One day before he was shot, Martin Luther King told the people of Memphis that "there was a certain kind of fire no water could put out." On the holiday that bears his name, I want to celebrate that "fire." That burning idea that the world can be better; that we can make it better.
It is not uncommon to hear people say how ugly the world is getting; how each day we, as a whole, move further away from God- further away from what is good and right.
And some days I am tempted to agree.
But not today.
Not when you really look at where we've come from.
I am raising my kids in a better world than my parents raised me in. And, more importantly, I believe that my grandkids can grow up in a world better still.
Happy Martin Luther King Day.
Here's to a better world.

5 comments:

auntie libby said...

hear - hear!

coriconnors said...

I love the thought of your grandchildren, and the knowledge that hope and work can and will make the world better.

Jenny H said...

Love that you brought up the fire...Love the way you write.

Everyday Sparkles said...

Great post! Martin Luther King Jr. is a hero and his work has changed our world. What a man.

RETTJ16 said...

WORD TO YOUR MOTHER