Saturday, March 22, 2008

Thank you...

... warm wind, the last bits of a nice days sunlight, carrots and Sophie. You turned a filthy gas station parking lot into Walden Pond. Good bye, quiet desperation (you will return later, I'm sure.) Goodbye, rushing to get somewhere else. Hello, right now. Nice to meet you. Who knew you were so likable.


In Walden, Thoreau said he went to the woods because he wanted to "live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life." He said he wanted to "drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world."

I propose that he could have done that in one 12 hour drive to California. No need to live for 2 years on nothing. No need to gather wood and maintain a shack by the pond. No need to count ants. You want to see the bare bones brutal truth of life? Stick a 2 year old and a 4 year old in a car for 12 hours. Tie those "no we will never stop moving" children to one spot and tell them to sit there and be entertained by the barren, lifeless landscape that connects Utah to California. Feed them high fat, high sugar foods. Feed yourself the same. Or starve yourself. There is no other practical choice.

My book about my drive to California would have been a little less transcendental than Walden in its philosophy. This not to say that the drive was miserable. There was really no fighting or yelling. It just felt uncomfortable and meaningless. It felt like the thing I had to do to get to what I wanted to do.

But then, in "not meant to be on a postcard" Jean, Nevada, Ashely dug Parker out of the pile of crackers and crayons that he was hiding under and carried him into the bathroom. Sophie, who had been begging for liberation for some time, accepted that she would not be allowed to "go see if the gas station sells barbies," or "go get a treat," even if she promised to be "way, way good." So she grabbed a bag of carrots and hopped on the back of the truck with me.

Then, the warm wind came, and Sophie's hair started to blow in her face, and she started laughing. The sun was about to set. It was warm and quiet. I could see Ashley through the gas station window, holding Parker in her arms while she paid for a diet coke.

And suddenly, I was sitting on the back of a truck, eating carrots, in the middle of everything I ever wanted.

Tomorrow one of us will write about the destination. California is beautiful. Disney was fun. There will be pictures. If Sophie leans to spell by then there will be a lot of stuff about Snow White, (actual quote, "dad, i fink now Snow White is my way way best friend.")

I'm writing about the trip. If life, when I strip it all the way down, is more about my little group of four trying to get somewhere than it is about getting there, that's fine with me. I just like being with them.

I seem to kick up a lot of dirt chasing after life. It moves so fast, and I get tired so easily. So thank you Jean, Nevada. Thanks to all those moments of clarity when it seems worth it. For that pause in the chase when the beast stops and looks back at me. And I can catch my breath and really see it.

And it's beautiful.

17 comments:

Adrianne said...

John you write so well. Really it is about the journey and not the destination. Love the little moment in Jean where you are surrounded by everything you ever wanted. made me teary. Love you all!!

Jane said...

Congrats John, you just gave me a desire to have kids!! I'll send Jake to you for someone to blame. Sophie is too cute. It's fun to read about you being a dad. Sorry I missed you while you were down here, but I'm glad you had fun with the whole family, especially your 4!

Treidi said...

I'm not sure rolling to Cali in your leather seated, climated controlled, man truck constitutes an existential existence.

What exactly are you transcending at 80 mph down I-15 en route to Disneyland:)

nicely shared moment... you should submit it to chevy for an ad campaign.

Ashley C. said...

travis has a point john....we would have had to take my car to truly suffer.........

Jenny H said...

Slowing down and taking it in- things I don't do often enough. Kids have a way of helping us do that, don't they?A seriously great reminder... Thanks.
Jenny

john said...

Travis, could it at least be a vw ad. they have better music. :) Sincere john has seen his shadow. And is heading back to the hole. There will be six more weeks of surface pop political banter and calculated sarcasm.

kate said...

Sweet post, although somewhat ruined by my brother's comment...and by its shattering my dream that when my baby's older he'll enjoy being in the car. Darn.

john said...

thanks kate. Cute little Hamilton may enjoy the car. Don't lose hope.
Concerning Travis, he is past feeling. His heart is an icy cage.
I am staging an intervention. We'll schedule it around you.
let us know when your in town.

Treidi said...

past feeling?

blog mutiny?

my sister and best friend conspiring my downfall?

I am seriously sorry... I have intense blog remorse.

John I love your sensitive side:)

Tia said...

John, that story is so poignant and sweet. It's nice that you take the time to enjoy those moments that are few and far between.

Kerstin said...

I hope you are writing a song about Jean Nevada. Ash can't wait to hear all the dets about your trip.

Kerstin said...

yiiiokkyx b v n

that is what Charlotte thinks

sterlingandbrandi said...

I will say this for sensitive John, it got a lot of comments, something Ster was going for with the new template. So feel good about this: Sensitive John apparently trumps shirtless John Cena.

john said...

Brandi, the problem with shirtless john cena is that the awe accompanying the first few visits to the new and improved blog (stress the improved) tends to leave one speechless.

Heidi Louise said...

You have convinced me to get knocked up. Thanks John! PSYCH!

And P.S.... when I die, I have decided that you should write my eulogy because you are an amazing writer and could probably make me sound a lot better than I really am. ;)

Becky said...

Very cute post- You really are a great writer. Maybe you should right a song but instead of a pontiac rocket it would be a Chevy truck... It was so fun to see you guys at your dad's party. When Adam gets back, we would love to have your family over.

sarahbellac said...

That was gorgeous...as is pretty much everything you write! Disneyland was fun. The best part, though, was being with the whole family. Miss you guys.
Hugs,
Sarah