Thursday, March 13, 2008

February album of the month or the curse of the beard-spell.


Let me begin by saying, if my son and I were roaming the charred, post apocalyptic earth in a hunger induced haze and we came across this man, I would not approach him. Even if I thought he might have a can of food to spare. Because, there is a good chance he would use that saw to cut us in half. And the book recounting our journey would be too short to win the Pulitzer.

But, in the pre-apocalyptic world this is one of the good guys.

In the face of some decent competition, (Mountain Goats, Kathleen Edwards) Bon Iver's album For Emma, Forever Ago has won my February heart.

The album was self-released by the artist (that was redundant) last fall, so it is technically not a NEW release, but Jagjagwar (the label that brought you Okkervil River) picked up the album and officially re-released it in February. And that is when I jumped on board.

This is a great album for days like today. When the slight rain slows everything down a little bit. And you're not sure whether the ground will be sun dried or soaked in an hour, but you're ok with either. This album has a kind of hopeful uncertainly. A sort of somber rejoicing. And a singer with an awesome beard.*

Bon Iver writes beautiful melodies with sparse arrangements. A little reminiscent of Elliot Smith. Maybe a little Jeff Buckley in there too. Picture TV on the Radio's lead singer being backed by the band Calexico.

If that produces no image, try picturing the guy in the picture above singing really cool songs. Accompanied by nothing but the saw, bent back and forth to various degrees to create strange and beautiful soundscapes. Like distant thunder lulling you to sleep. (Those last too sentences completely misrepresent this artist. As far as I can tell he never plays the saw. Certainly not that saw. That thing would play him.)
By way of review,
Bon Iver album= very good, probably best of February.
Bearded man with giant saw in a world turned upside down= probably not approachable.
Thank you for reading this far, whoever you are. More pictures of the kids next time.



*Much has been made of Geraldine Ferraro, a key financial chairperson for the MAN ACTUALIZED by travis campaign, and her unfortunate statement suggesting that Bon Iver’s success is the result of a sort of beard-spell we indie-folk loving types seem to be under. (Iron & Wine, Devandra Banhardt, Ray Lamontagne...there's a pattern here) “If Bon Iver were a beardless man,” Ferraro told a California newspaper, “he would not be in this position. He happens to have been blessed with a great ability to grow facial hair. And www.johnandashleyconnors.blogspot.com is caught up in that concept.” We regret that the MAN ACTUALIZED campaign has not made a greater effort to distance itself from this comment. Don’t shrink this terribly important album of the month race to a debate about who is or isn’t playing the beard card. Let’s just focus on the music.

14 comments:

john said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley C. said...

Only you can roll music, politcs, literary references, and beard loving into one post. I am quite impressed. You better burn me some Bon Iver so I can give it a listen. But as for you- you need to shave your beard.

sterlingandbrandi said...

Shoot. I thought I was going to be the first to comment, although I did read to the end of the post, I feel so overwhelmed by information and imagery that I have no comment on Bon Iver yet. I just wanted to say that I decided to catch a plane out with Sterling on Sunday and sorry I ditched out when I said I'd see you before I left on Tuesday. And I'm taking the invite to the Office party seriously!

john said...

We will save you a spot on the couch.

Jenny H said...

I have to say that I am not totally sure I would approach a man with a large saw ever...but will have to give the music a shot. Although I do imagine a saw flicking sound now.

Tia said...

Nice reference to The Road...one of my fave books. Where's a pic of you with a beard??

Treidi said...

No offense John...
But you're too small to get much cannibal meat.

Better go and eat some more dyno bites.

ps-don't listen to the wife(that means you ashley).
beards rule and have been scientifically proven to help you make better music.

Ashley C. said...

show me the evidence trav.

Casey said...

Who is this Bon Jovi fella you are talking about?

john said...

speaking of bon jovi, I rocked the drums on "dead or alive" with my neighbors Rock Band outfit, The Moustache Kings, with 84% accuracy.

Kysha said...

Some men are incapable of growing a real beard. I happen to live with one. I, Ashley, can see your point and am not really complaining. Regardless though, thanks for refraining from playing the "beard-card." Perhaps this is why Casey lacks musical ability and basically has a man-crush on you over yours.
-Kysha-

Everyday Sparkles said...

John, after reading your post about Grizzly Adams (you are probably to young to get that reference), I am both humored and just a little terrified to have you as a neighbor. I mean, who would sleep well knowing the man nextdoor is so facinated with large saws of death? Anyway, about the band "The Moustache Kings", I think their (we) are next big Man Band (but 84% doesn't sell records. Come on and focus!)

Shane (AKA "Rip" -- Bass guitar).

RETTJ16 said...

this dude looks like Jd buxton with freakishly large hands

holly said...

Be nice to beards.

Especially when they recommend albums as good as Bon Iver.