Friday, June 11, 2010

salem spring

I did the Salem Spring Triathlon last weekend. It was super fun, and I am hoping it was the first of a couple tri's this season. 
John, and I at the finish line after the race. Parker tagged along. The other two kiddos stayed home. Parker was a trooper and super fun to have there.
Pre race jitters. My bike tire had just popped for the second time right before this picture. Thanks to John, all the cash in John's wallet and the awesome bike sponsors at the race... I had a new bike tire in just the nick of time. In fact... I went to swim and John took my bike to get fixed. When I got out of the water I had a new tire. Best husband ever. Seriously.
My age group starting the swim. It was such beautiful weather that day. I saw my parents and sisters right before I got in the water and I didn't know for sure that they were coming... it made me get all choked up seeing them there.
Me coming out of the water and into the transition area.
Cute Parker and My Dad. Love these two sooooo soooo much. My Dad was always the inspiration for my athletic pursuits growing up. He never missed a swim meet, never missed a water polo game (except maybe the one he got kicked out of...), yelled super loud at every game, flew all over the country with me to water polo tournaments and camps, ran my first marathon with me and more. It always feel so right to have him be at events like this cheering me on. He is the greatest, truly.
Here I am doing an awkward shuffle run. It's what I do. I have no photo proof that I biked, but I did.

Parker eating my watermelon just after the race.

And on the way home... we stopped in Provo and ate at Hikory Kist ( for old times sake). And of course we then had to stop by and take a picture of our first house. Sooooo many memories here. We loved this place so much. Even if it was ghetto Provo and we were constantly being approached by homeless sketchy people. 

It was a good day.

16 comments:

Tatiana said...

You have mad skills, Ash. It makes me ill to think of swimming in a lake. You are tough. What great pictures of you and all of your cheering section.
So fun to see your first house. I feel the same way about our first house.
John, way to be the best pit crew ever. You have mad skills, too.

Summer said...

Ash--that's so awesome! I have so much respect for all you women who can do that. Way to go!

lbb said...

Oh I'm so proud of you, ASH!
WAY TO GO! That stuff ain't just hard physically, but takes serious guts!
Love your BBQing pics, too. Oh you're making me hungry.
You and John are darling togeth. Just get on the cover of some hip and happenin' magazine already, why don't cha?
love you.
boyer.

auntie libby said...

way to go ash. so proud of you. next time let us know in advance where and when. we'd like to be there cheering you on too! you are indeed awesome.

Kysha said...

Congrats Ash. That is truly impressive!! Way to go. I have a hard time swimming the length of a pool so I am in awe.

Jenny H said...

Awesome Ash!!! You rock, and I am in super awe. I need to get a bike so I can give this stuff a try.

Melissa and Trevor said...

you go girl!!!! I have always wanted to do a tri but they are all on sundays in Arizona.....

Liz said...

good for you you ash! you look awesome. i would ove to catch up. i will let you know when we do dinner again. hope all is well

The Koffords said...

way to go ash! I want to do a tri with you!!!!!

Brianne said...

Dude, you are my hero!! I only wish I could do one of those. Way to go!!!
P.S. lets get together!!!!!!!

Becky said...

I am still in awe of you! Way to go! And you look fantastic by the way! It was good to see you the other day!

Everyday Sparkles said...

You are amazing Ashley! Wish I could do something like this, but I would require arm floaties for the swim. We would love to come cheer for you next time. Keep us posted.

John makes a most excellent pit crew guy.

Parker's an adorable fan.

Charming first home.

p.s. Thanks for helping with another one of Enzo's victims.

Anonymous said...

Ash you rock! That is so awesome!

Liz said...

I am so impressed! That is a great accomplishment! I am so proud of you!

coriconnors said...

This entry, strange as it sounds, made me cry. First, I think you are an amazing and beautiful woman with inner strength that is sometimes evidenced in such outer-strength things as triathlons.
Secondly, I am touched and grateful for the beautiful relationship you have with your dad. He is such a great guy, and so balanced. I am grateful you have him and your mom and sisters in your life. Third, I love that youa are ok with Parker eating your watermelon. Fourth, I love that my son suits you, and that he loves you, and that you could turn your mind to the swim because you had confidence he would do all he could to make your bike work. And I am grateful he did do all he could, and that the minimal money in his wallet was enough for the bike sponsor. Fifth, I love that little house in Provo. I rremember late one night helping John strip the wall paper off the kitchen walls. Just him and me for some reason. I remember a little catch in his throat when he said (I think it had turned into a heart to heart conversation...as wall papering tends to do ;)...he said he was worried he would never be able to have children. When I see that picture of him standing in front of that little Provo house, next to his son, it makes me swell in the chest and then tears pop out.
I love that you are in my life...in all of our lives.

Amanda said...

Ash- you are amazing! Congratulations on the Triathlon, They do look like a lot of fun... I really loved seeing the mountains in your pictures...(it actually brought tears to my eyes...) we love VA...but i am missing Utah... esp early summer it's so perfect and beautiful...

Way to go!