Until that call comes, here are a few, unrelated, unordered things that I have enjoyed hearing and seeing lately-
I
Sophie has been discussing how her role in the family will change after the new baby arrives.S: "I will feed the baby bottles sometimes and I will make the baby happy and I will be very gentle."
me: "That will be very helpful, Sophie. Thanks."
S: "Yep. And I will clean up my toys, and help Parker clean up his toys, and at night mommy will have to be with the baby so you will put me to bed and you will also put Parker to bed."
me: yes.
S: "And we will need to make a robot of you. And Parker will have the robot you and I will have the real you."
me: slient. Lost in thoughts of whether or not I would like hanging out with robot me and how expensive it would be to buy two of everything.
II
During a discussion of the presidential candidates speeches at the 2008 Alfred E. Smith dinner in New York- a chance for the candidates to show a rarely seen humorous side- one of my favorite radio host, Scott Waltermann, praised both men by saying "they stood up there and they killed" which to me said "they were really funny." I was happy to hear this news, but unimpressed really. Perhaps sensing this, Waltermann continued, "They literally killed." which to me said, "By use of force, Barack Obama and Jon McCain stood up at this light-hearted, non-partisan dinner and actually took the lives of their listeners." Now that's good radio.I try to make a point of visualizing, whenever someone uses the word "literally," whatever activity is being "literally" described. The images associated with the misuse of this word are solid gold. Literally. (see, now visualize a miniture solid gold statue of Obama and McCain slaying the crowd at a politcal event, Obama looking kind of the the Terminator- part metal, one red eyed; McCain dressed perhaps in animal skins, like those little Mormon figures of Ammon, sword over his head, maybe some sheep somewhere, ... )
III
Ashley, that sweet, hip girl who I first saw all those years ago stepping out of her black VW beatle in a plaid mini skirt, is now driving a mini van. And loving it. A mini van is not like a mustache. It is not so uncool that it's cool. It is too practical. It is just straight up uncool. Yet she makes it sexy.
There is a great scene in Loud, Quiet, Loud- a documentary about the Pixies (sang the songs "Where is my Mind," "Here Come Your Man" "Wave of Mutilation" and 2008 first song of the year "Hey")- where you see Frank Black driving in the car with his wife. The band has just started a very critically and financially successful reunion tour, their first, and the Blacks are driving around the neighborhood in their minivan when she starts laughing out loud.
"I think it's pretty funny," she says, "the idea that people are like, 'oh the Pixies are back together, oh my gosh, Frank Black, he’s so cool!' And you’re running around in a minivan." She continues through the laughter, "Oh, He’s so angry. And interesting..." She pauses, collects herself, and finishes her thought, "And I think the Grand Caravan really reflects that."
Wifey + Minivan= sexy. It's crazy math, but it works.
IV
We have been enjoying the release of last years tv series on DVD. Particularly enjoying rewatching 30 Rock season two and watching, for the first time, Chuck. We are open to any additional suggestions.
10 comments:
I'm with you on the literal thing. Whenever people say "Holy Cow", I picture a cow floating in the air with angel wings and a halo.
Oooohhh....and I just now pictured it with a bunch of holes, like swiss cheese.
I love word play. Word nerd.
Hooray for the mini-van! Feel proud of your practical unashamed selves. How can she not look sexy, especially with her 150 thou. wardrobe? I have often, in the retelling of a story, described my kids as laughing so hard they "were dying." Something in my brain just doesn't think it's right. Also, picturing McCain dressed up "Ammonesque" is quite a disturbing image.
I would like to meet the Robot you...and I love that Sophie already has it figured out that she would get the real you and Parker would get the robot....classic!
I too love ashley in the mini van too! She was sexy in the corolla though too!
John...that is funny. We are watching 30 Rock on Netflix right this very moment.
Your wife is awesome...there is no disputing that. She is lucky that you recognize and appreciate it!
Try a little Pushing Daisies. Too cute and/or quirky and/or art directed for some, but we like it.
3 Cheers for CHUCK! It makes Mondays so so so much better. And I am glad to know that I am not the only nerdy one who watched all of Season 1 in a week.
Ash + mini van = a sign of good things coming!!
My suggestions of DVD shows are not the most wholesome....but I figure I kind of balance it out with watching Yo Gabba Gabba and Hannah Montana for hours each day.
Dexter, and Weeds. But, Dexter is my favorite. And, you might want to watch them when "robot John" is taking care of the kids.
I love minivans!! Okay...I don't love them, but when it is all broken down and figured out...it is the most logical, especially with three kids. Me...with one? Driving in a minivan would just not be necessary...sigh...I will just have to live through Ash!
Funny stuff!
this past week I have wiped the dust off my Arrested Development seasons 1-3. It gets better everytime. I also enjoy BigBang theory and How I met your mother.
Post a Comment