Sunday, January 17, 2010

A New Year.

Oh the resolutions I could write and the things I should change. The list is super long. Don't get me wrong, I have them and I am working on them. I have to wonder though what happens between January and December each year. Do I actually lose track of my goals? Does life overwhelm me and I forget that I wanted to change? Perhaps. Or do I just stop caring as much? Ugh.

I do know that every January I am sooo ready for Spring. Spring cleaning, spring clothes, spring weather, oh I crave it. I am guilty of not living in the moment from January until it is really Spring.

Yep. Here it is not Spring. It is Winter. It is bleak, it is yucky, and that nasty inversion is making me feel like a crazy person. But it is still a new year, and that is good. I like new and I like change. As a kid I used to rearrange the furniture in my room just to have that fresh, new feeling. I love changing things around my house. It feels good. And I actually like trying to change me. Even if it is hard and not so fun. I could use the change, I could be so much better.

I could drink more water.
And exercise longer and harder.
And I could hug my kids more.
And play with them more often.
I should read more.
I could develop a stinkin' hobby... ( side story here is that I am currently looking for a hobby.
Who does that? Who has to try to find a hobby. Potential mid-life crisis material....)
I could eat less.
I could be a better communicator.
Be offended less.
Try new things.

This list could get super long. But I will spare you.

This year I just hope to change, little by little, and hopefully become a better wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend, person.

Good thing I have year after year after year of resolutions to do this. Now how to endure until Spring? Any ideas?

12 comments:

Amy said...

I need a hobby as well so if you find one let me know. Maybe we can share it :). As far as waiting for spring. Spring is here where I live so come and visit :). It's in the 70s just about every day so come visit!!

4 Peanuts and a Cashew said...

Ashley, how I have grown to love you through your blog. Such a beautiful person and beautiful family. I think you're perfect just the way you are. And as far as hobbies go, what about photography? Then we could go take pictures together!

Everyday Sparkles said...

No change is necessary for you girl. You are the greatest!

As for passing time until spring how about a movie night and dinner over here?

Or you could teach me how to cook like you and Tatiana. That would take all winter and then some.

Jenny H said...

Heaven Knows I could drink more water. I've been trying, and have been better. But, I think the whole water thing is way overrated.
You are one if the most kind and genuine people I know...those other items on your list are good, but really...you've got the big stuff down. Focus on that.
Counting the days till Ashton....

Kerstin said...

No need to improve on being a better friend- you are an amazing friend and am grateful that you are mine! (could be a Valentine's card)Love you! My door is always open to a Ash, John, Sophie, Parker and Ruby so please come visit.

coriconnors said...

Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing about you...and I AM YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW for goodness sakes! There aught to be something a mother-in-law could criticize. But in all honesty, there is nothing!
You are perfect, and by that I mean you are in perfect motion. No one is perfect in stillness.
I love that you stop enough to take a look and try to move closer to what God wants for you, and what you want for yourself. But be sure not to stay stopped for too long cuz then we get bogged down in stuff that is not godly.
Hobby ideas:
Start a collection of cool and unique quotes that you could put on your own greeting cards.
Crochet a scarf.
Figure out how to use the computer to do artistic things to photographs.
Rate your favorite children's books and put the rankings on your blog.
Rank all sorts of stuff in your life and blog about it. best kitchen tool...best store for deals...best diversions for bored kids...etc
Or there's always the option of plugging along till Sophie's birthday, then Spring is just around the corner. Just plain surviving is always an option.

Tatiana said...

Can I have rights to your list? I like all of those ideas. Almost like you got in my head and wrote it for me. I love you and I think you are pretty darn flawless. Let's start by making a daily water intake goal. We could totally rock that! How hard could it be? Baby steps, sista.

Brianne said...

I am going to have to ditto your entire post. Lets get together and pass these next few months together.

auntie libby said...

the problem with daily increase of water intake is the need to be near a bathroom!

and i have lots of unfinished hobbies you could try out and see if you like any of them.

in the meantime just keep bringing yourself and the kiddos over as often as possible so we can play!

Adrianne said...

i actually saw a really cute blog post about an art projecy that I thought you would enjoy- you are crafty and artistic (something that I am not- and I envy)

maybe some additional things you could add to your list of "improvements" are:
- more dodo lunches with A
- paint your nails fun colors more often
- more chocolate chip cookies & less veggies (hehehe)
-more girls nights out


ooohhhhh! and for a hobby. You could become a road trip planner. Pick a place - tell me where to stop, eat and shop. (maybe you could start with Seattle to SLC!)

Adrianne said...

for that blog go here:

http://windhula.blogspot.com/2009/09/sneak-preview.html

Nickposh said...

Two word: ROAD TRIP! What better way to celebrate Spring? And You and John could start a Tall Socks club... if so I would like to join. I love you, I miss you... I think you are super cool. Hang in there babe!