I cried. The folder of notes was huge. Full of notes from my first couple years of college from my roommates, and from John as we were falling in love. It made me miss my friends so badly, and it made me love them even more. Perhaps my favorite was a card from John written on Dec.25, 2000 that said, "Will you spend the rest of your Christmases with me? Love, John. "
And then the box. Pictures from when I was little to just a few years ago. More tears flowed. I think partly because I am not sure when I got from there to here. The extremely sentimental side of me ached to go back to all those times. Just for a day. I would pick a day at Bonneville Elementary, an old school Beach Week, Clayton Jr. High (preferably the day the slushie machine broke during the school play and Adrianne, the SB president at the time, saved the day and the school play), an East High football game, a School Dance, a water polo game, one of the many water polo trips, a Sunday dinner sitting around the old white kitchen, Acapella trip, Europe trip with my family, Freshman Year, 303, Jerusalem, Hilton Head, Falling in love with John, Getting married, having Soph... my goodness the list could go on. I hope Heaven is one big slideshow where we can re-live the days we choose. I might even re-live some of the crappy ones too. Okay, maybe not.
I guess I go to bed tonight with two sappy conclusions. I like life. I am glad we get to live it. It can be hard, and it can hurt, but I feel grateful for it. And I am going to start enjoying it more today. Because a wise woman once said... "Tomorrow, today is going to be yesterday and I'd like to like where I've been."
I sure like where I've been.
10 comments:
It is so fun to stumble across old pictures and to remember the different lives you've had. btw, soon is a year or so - as soon as possible - these summers are killing me :)
Those crappy days help us to understand how important those people in your pictures are...so, for that-I'm grateful (way afterwards) for them.
Your description of Heaven sounds like I place I wanna be.
Life is funny, keep all those notes, pictures, etc! They are recordings of your life. They are part of you, who you are, and who you will become. I now understand what the pharse "eventhough I'm 50I still feel like I did when I was 20" means.... Time slips by, that is why we have to enjoy every moment! A slideshow would be awesome-great idea.
Thanks for a well spoken and heartfelt reminder to enjoy each day and live life to the fullest! I'm glad you've "been" to Hayden Peak and feel lucky to have been there at the same time! You are wonderful!
What a fun stroll down memory lane you had. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets emotional doing this. What really gets me teary is pulling out the newborn jammies. Talk about Jeni boo hooing for hours.
p.s. Jonny just got his braces on today and now looks like a teenager. I may need to sleep with the jammies for comfort tonight. Where does the time go?
Oh, make we weep in the middle of the day! I like where you've been and I like where you are going and I like being your friend and your mother-in-law.
I love this post and that you are appreciating these things. You always WERE THE BEST NOTE WRITER! cutest handwriting, doo-dads, and drawings. oh how i wish i could find some of those treasures too!
i love your outlook on life and feel grateful i get a little "dose" of it here and there, even if it's just cyber-dosage!
love you and welcome back from all your travels!
Ash that just made me cry for some reason. Very well said. I love those moments looking back on a life of pictures.
Ash- Loved spending the wedding with you and John. I love you guys and all our fun memories!! I did the same thing the other night flipping through my freshmen pics and notes- what friends! So many sweet notes from you. Love you!
Cute post!!! Made me a little teary!!
Post a Comment