Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mid Year Mix Tape Giveaway

Ash is off to the city for a night of karaoke.  
In her absence, I am storming the Bastille- attacking the fortress of meaningful memories and photographic record keeping that is our little blog- and raising the flag of triviality.  I reclaim this space for album of the month.  
I will make no attempt to declare the best album of each of this years first 7 months.  And I won't attempt a comprehensive list of the years best albums thus far.  
I will start it back up with this, 
The Mid Year Mix Tape.  
There will be an itunes link (way down at the bottom of the page) for those interested and impatient.  But, as a way of saying I'm sorry (to Paul and Tyler for what has been missing the last 7 months, and to everyone else for what will not be missing for the next 5) I will mail you a copy of The Mid Year Mix Tape.  If you want one.  Just leave a comment.  and an address maybe.*  
These are songs from the albums I have enjoyed most this year.   Is there something I've missed?  You tell me.  I would guess there is.  All I know for certain is these are the bands I'd like to see play at the Merriwether Post Pavilion**  I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.


*unless you A)live in Farmington B)intend to see me at some point soon or C)don't want to leave your address.  I'm going to cap this at a million copies, so act fast, these things have legs.  
**I guess I respect the album, sort of.   I know I respect a lot of people who love the album, but, frankly, I don't enjoy it.  I tried.  I can hear the indie gods asking me why I am kicking against the indie hype pricks... but it's not happening.  No confirmation.  Though, I would like to see my daughter do a dance to "My Girls" at her next dance recital, Courtney take note.  


What's on the album? (optional reading material-for the bored) 

Answer: 15 or 16 songs, one or two from each of these great artists:

1.  Casiotone for the Painfully Alone-  Vs. Children.  Beautiful and sad and hopeful.  Has a Nebraska-like feel to the lyrics.  Natural Light is a song about a photograph.  Short, perfect melody.  Northfield, MN is a little crime drama that sounds like an Elliot Smith song.  If you are in town next week (I am not, sadly) go see him play at Slowtrain on the 29th.  

2.  The Rural Alberta Advantage-  Hometowns.  Technically this album came out late last year.  Those who received any late copies of our best of 2008 will have heard some of these songs. The album was re-released on SaddleCreek(Omaha based label, home of bright eyes, the good Rilo Kiley albums, the faint, and various other emo/indie/twee bands) a few weeks ago to pretty favorable reviews.  It's probably my most listened to album this year, if I'm honest.  You hear a little Neutral Milk Hotel in his voice.  The drummer is incredible.   Get the album. 

3.  The Antlers- Hospice.  This album will see a more wide release in a few weeks thanks to FrenchKiss records (The Hold Steady, The dodos, passion pit, etc.)  The lyrics are heavy and very well written.  Look at the album cover, listen to some of the songs and make out for yourself what it's about.

4.  The Thermals- Now We Can See.  Rock music.  Done well.

5.  Elvis Perkins- Elvis Perkins in Dearland.  Great songwriter with a great brass section.  

6.  Say Hi-  I used to think they were a Death Cab for Cutie cover band with Pedro the Lion's Dave Bazan as their singer, now I think they're more of a Spoon cover band with Pedro the Lion's Dave Bazan as their lead singer.  I have loved them in both cases.  (lots of Spoon like sounds lately.)

7.  White Rabbits- another Spoon cover band.  Really good one. 

There are some other songs on there.  Bon Iver had a nice EP in Jan. and there's a song from that.  Laura Gibson put out another quiet album with great songs, Spoon primed us for the upcoming album with an EP.   There's a song or two from the Dark Was The Night comp.  The Devil Whale, a SLC band, released an album last year that I missed, but a few of the songs were so good I felt they needed a spot.

And that is all I will say about the music.  If you want the mix, let me know.  Or if you're adventurous and/or wealthy go buy all the albums.   I'll draw you a picture on the cd if you read this far.  or maybe I can get ash to make you some cookies.  they're really quite good.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Love to see John back in the driver's seat. It has been so long. Your first paragraph is worthy of some type of literary award. Well done. I would love a mix tape! It's great that the closing paragraph of your music review gets a side-by-side with the Jonas Brothers. There is such a musicial equity in your home.

Tatiana said...

dangit, that was me up there.

noelle regina said...

PICK ME PICK ME.
noelle regina nicolai lybbert
(don't know if you'll have room for an address after all those names)

should i be the fortunate victor, leave it with cindy - i'd like to stop in and visit her anyway.

sterlingandbrandi said...

I would like one, even though i might have 30% of the songs already and i want a picture of Sterling and michael drawn on it, as well as two chocolate chip cookies. I can pick up.

Unknown said...

yes, please. i believe you have my address. If not, just send it to:

Karen Callister in Milwaukee.

I'm pretty famous here so I'm sure the postman knows where I live.

paul said...

If you can burn the CD to a cookie, all the better.

Sign me up.

Jenny H said...

Yes!!! The last John mix has been in heavy rotation with Fergie and Eminen...Love it! (Especially the National...you'll have to keep me in the cool Indie loop when they play here).
I'm not in Farmington ...but I'm close. Come here and I'll make all you Connors dinner and cookies. For real.

Coleen said...

one cd for jared

and I would like to spend some time with your cute fam at the beach

Summer said...

I was just telling Tyler how my favorite blogs are the ones where the hubby contributes...thank you for coming back around these parts! Hopefully I can get him to start posting more.

...and yes I would love one-I'll send Ash my address or maybe we could make a trip up to Farm land sometime soon. :)

Kori and Brad said...

I'd like to place an order for the Clark's! A CD and a cookie please :)
...sigh, this makes me miss the days of John's top picks conversations at BYU followed by a game of ultimate frisbee. I would have a much better music collection if I lived in Farmington.

I'll send you my address on FB!

heidi said...

I would love a mix tape, and since we are gypsies without a permanent address, I'll pick it up myself. And no cookie for me, thanks. With the way Ashley makes them, I don't think I could eat just one.

Bkay said...

I would love a copy...Ash has my address. I could really use some good tunes to enjoy as I try to remember what to do with a brand new baby!

Jane said...

Johnny, are you sure you really want to be mailing a million copies?! Your last play list made it's way to the top of my rotation last year so I could never pass up the new mixed tape. Don't know when I'll be in farmington again so you'll have to put one on the side for me. :) Or I'll quit being so cheap and buy them all! Thanks for the insight to all the great music.

Tyler and Stacy: said...

Since you know I am morally opposed to mixtapes, compilations, best of's, and anything not resembling a proper album (despite your otherwise solid attempts to convince me of the beauty of the single), I will not be requesting a mixtape.

HOWEVER, since I did just get done reading High Fidelity, I'm feeling in a charitable mood toward top 5 song lists. So, without further adieu, my top 5 songs of 2009 so far:

1. Guy Eyes by Animal Collective - after the breakdown when the diverging harmonies finally come together you get to hear pure bliss.

2. Folds in Your Hands by Passion Pit - as fist pumpingly awesome and danceable as the best best tracks from last year's MGMT album.

3. While You Wait for the Others by Grizzly Bear - crashing guitars, soaring harmonies, and one of the best voices in current music.

4. Marrow by St. Vincent - super cute girl makes great pop song and assassinates guitar somewhere in the middle. What could be hotter?

5. All for the Best by Thom Yorke (original by Miracle Legion) - nice electro beat, but when the blaring guitar feedback line splits off into separate drum stick ticks, magic happens. Bonus for Andy Yorke's awesome backing vocals (the first time Thom and his little bro have ever recorded together).

As an aside, many "boos" in your direction for lack of MPP love. That album is frickin' Pet Sounds.

Tyler and Stacy: said...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Honorable mention to Bull Black Nova by Wilco.

williamsfam5 said...

Mix Please! To:
Your Favorite Cousin
1817 N 13th St
Boise, ID 83702

Have I mentioned it's only 4 hours from your house to mine and you would save yourself a stamp if you hand delivered it. But I'd love a mix tape by mail if I can't have you in person.

LOVE LOVE LOVE!

john said...

dear responders,
thank you for your responses.
music shall come to you soon.
except for you, Hendu.
love,
john

also,
Could you give me a track by track MPP to Pet Sounds breakdown, because if there is a God Only Knows or Sloop John B on MPP I will eat my words and buy an animal collective t shirt.

coriconnors said...

I'll take the cookies AND the CD.
yer ma