Janet Jackson. This is back when I thought I was a dancer, taking dance with Christine Hansen. Turns out I wasn't a dancer. ( On another note, RIP MJ..... I love you!)
At 14 it was Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopez. My aunt had a waterfall in her backyard. We (my sisters and I) wanted to recreate the music video for "Waterfalls". I had a kickin' pair of overalls from The Gap. I memorized the solo in the song. I loved Left Eye.
Fast forward to 16. I begged Eric Richards of the earth shatteringly famous East High Band Mind Spin to let me sing a No Doubt song during one of their lunch time performances. I secretly wanted to be Gwen Stefani. In his wise wise sage wisdom he said no( I actually think he said he would talk to the band, and I never heard back from them...) Man, how can I ever thank him enough for that now? 
Fast forward even more to 29. I am a Mormon housewife with three children who loves the Disney Channel ( I just set the DVR to record Princess Protection Program) and just two nights ago in the car I had that same funny feeling of "if I could be in a band and be this singer... it would be....)
Karen O. ( Of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.)

Call it a mid-life crisis. But just once I really want to get on a stage in a crazy one piece ugly spandex outfit and sing my guts out and have it sound awesome. (Backed by the band and with a ton of screaming fans singing along..) Is that too much to ask?
Maybe I should look into a really good karaoke bar? Or maybe we should buy Rock Band. Or maybe I am just crazy. Who would you be???
** Obvious Disclaimer: I realize that these people sometimes have not made "good" choices. Like when Left Eye burned her boyfriends house down. I guess what I am saying is- I just want to step in and sing the song, not necessarily BE like them. That's all.
13 comments:
Oh my gosh, I am dying of laughter, and currently watching the Princess Protection Program. Pretty good so far...
And - I used to watch Madonna's Live Material Girl Concert every day at my friend's house and pretend I was her. If that's not one for wanting to "be" her, but not "be her" that's it. I'm pretty sure Left Eyes' boyfriends house could've used a good torching.
Love it. I can totally picture 14-year-old Ashley in your overalls doing the rap part with a little Left-eye sass. I used to practice the Rhythm Nation countdown and dance all the time. I also had a crush on the "Love Would Never Do Without You" guy in the white happy pants dancing on that weird half circle thing. I'm with you on the Karen O thing. Great choice. I would love to scream my head off to "Phenomena" - anything with echos of L.L. Cool J has got my vote.
I love your honesty, Ash. I had no idea! Henry would be so proud of your latest favorite. He is slightly obsessed with her. Sort of weird I guess. Glad to know that you like her too. She is intense. As far as who I would be, I have always wanted to be Sheryl Crow. She's totally awesome. I would also pick Madonna's disco phase a la Austin Powers.
OH how I love you. Funny thing is, I can actually picture you in a band! You def have the voice. I LOVED "waterfalls" and wanted to be janet jackson for sure. I would have loved you even more had you done a Gwen Stefani solo in the commons! Rock on!
I want to be Fergie. Sometimes I think I am...
And I would love to see you rockin' out on the stage! I'd be a screaming fan for sure. :)
okay ash I totally love! But i always thought the discussion was that you were to come back in your next life as a black gospel singer?!!! This post reminds me of our cross country road trip to HHI and just spending hours singing to all of our favorites in the wrangler! I love you, I bet some day you will have your 5 minutes of 'rock out time' on the stage.....reach for the stars
"A Come on... I seen a rainbow a yesterday..."
hehe. guess that's all i can remember
This was a fun post, you are so funny.
This is so strange. John once told me he had the exact same wishes when he was young. You two are meant for each other. See you in a couple of days.
Jason
I think you need to set up a 4th of July impromptu concert! I had no idea you could sing.
Ashley, the closet rock star, I love it! Who knew? I'm sure your singer hubby could arrange for you to do a little rock number in one of his shows. I'll look forward to it! I may have some spandex dance outfits that you can borrow.
I can't believe I am going to admit this, but I would secretly love to be Celine Dion (Did you ever see her Vegas show... only Celine during her Vegas show days). Amazing!
But deep down, I would love to be Patty Griffin... who in my opinion is perfection. I love her guitar skills and her voice!
However Ash, I can totally see the infatuation with Lisa Left Eye Lopez, I think we all went through a TLC phase at one point in time. LOL
Maps by the Yeah yeah yeahs is my favorite song to sing on rockband.....you should try it1 it is very fulfilling!
I've always loved this about you Ash- inner rock girl. As I am reading your post I realized I too have always had an inner want to sing- I mean really sing- like belt out a note so big and have it sound amazing. But the funny thing is (can't believe I am going to admit this- so nerdy)I always dreamed to sing so I could belt out "His Hands" or "Jesus Was No Ordinary Man" in Sacrament meeting. AAAHHHH - such a nerd. Why would a rock star like you be a friend with me?
Post a Comment