Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sophie

Sophie had been playing in the playroom -rare, peaceful, Sunday morning kind of playing- when she stepped into the kitchen, with a concerned look.


Sophie: Dad, it is too quiet in the playroom.

John: Ok. What do you want me to do?

Sophie: Turn on some music... (thoughtful pause)

...or get some wild animals.


As if these were two equally reasonable options. Though Ash would probably have my head for it, the thought of turning our playroom into a zoo filled me with some joy. Parker riding a little goat, Sophie braiding the mane of some poor lion. It'd turn sour pretty quick, but the pictures from those first few minutes would make for a pretty solid blog post.

10 comments:

Ashley C. said...

Since when is a goat a wild animal?

Good choice though babe. I think going with the music was wise.

auntie libby said...

you could get a pygmy goat...i think they are a little more wild. or how bout a mountain goat, they are definately wild. and i really like the picture of sophie braiding the cowardly lions mane! she could wear her dorthy outfit and everything. and maybe you could get a monkey or two. ... or wait, you already have some of those! :) . big hugs!

E.F.G. said...

:) a perfect reward for morning blog checking... what a perfectly wonderful story to start the day with.

"quiet in the out there..." if you write a children's book, consider that for the beginning.

Tatiana said...

Poor Soph, she's got some repressed memories of that savage mouse-killing that went down in her playroom last fall. One day, that memory of her father with a broom held high above his head will work its way to the surface. I'd definitely go for the "turn on some music option." You've got damage control to do.

Jenny H said...

So funny...I love Sophie's imagination. I have to ask, What music did you play?
Also, Ash, when I was in the last trimester of my pregnancy with Abby, I think I ate my weight in gingersnap cookies. I had to have them with me every waking (and some sleeping) moment.:)

Everyday Sparkles said...

If you are requesting wild animals . . . we'll be right over. We have wild celebrating to do for John's monumental birthday.

Sophie is precious! Good thing you're having another one. Keep them coming and then we'll take one off your hands. The boys could use a sister as they refer to all my things as girly crap.

Ashley C. said...

erica-
i think it was supposed to say- it is too quiet in the playroom out there. :)

sterlingandbrandi said...

I just like that Ashley would PROBABLY have your head for bring wild animals into the childrens' playroom.

Anyway, have you heard Jenny Owen Youngs' cover of Nelly's "Hot in Herre?" I love it, but I still love Dynamite Hack's Boyz in the Hood. Or Her Space Holiday? I just downloaded two songs (Tech romance and You and Me)but they kind of remind me of Postal Service, I think you'd like them if you don't already.

john said...

Since forever there have been wild goats, ashley.
A mountain goat is a good example of that Libby, thanks. Though mountains goats seem difficult to ride.
Erica, I think "quiet in the out there" is spectacular as well. Though, the story has been edited now for clarity.
Tatiana, that mouse killing was anything but savage. The opponent died with dignity at the hand of a superior foe.
Jenny, I put on Whiskeytown's album Pneumonia. Sophie actually likes it. She play her harmonica along to it. I have to sneak some good stuff in between the HSM soundtracks.
other jeni, we like all your girly crap.
brandi, I am willing to listen to any version of "Hot in Herre." Thanks for the tip.

RETTJ16 said...

I think Sophie had Rett in mind...he is more of an animal than anyone knows!...Well atleast a loud smelly animal anyways!!