John hates to shave. Thus he likes to grow a beard - and does so in about a day. It is not that I don't like the look John of with a beard... I just don't really like to kiss him with a beard. (sorry if that is too much information, but it is true and relevant for this post.)
It all really started back in sixth grade (so i have heard- i wasn't there) when John sported a mustache and Pittsburgh Pirate sweats everyday. Back then he offered no excuses or apologies. Fast forward some years... there were beard rules. BYU- no beards. MTC teacher- no beards. Stien Eriksen Lodge Employee- no beards. (strangely all those organization's strict rules inexplicably allowed mustaches.) Thus began NOVEMBEARD. John's favorite fall tradition of growing a beard all November as some act of beard rebellion, I suppose- of course this always crept right into DECEMBEARD and by the Neck n' Nog Christmas party it could be shaped into some sort of weird facial hair. The past couple of years I have noticed that it really has begun around September- of course SEPTMEBEARD, OCTOBEARD.... you get the idea. If you ask me- John spends at least 6 months a year with a beard. Always an excuse... and sometimes they are pretty legit. (Like at Gardner's wedding when he told me that Cindy ok'ed it.)
Well he does have a good excuse this month. His mom Cori Connors- singer/songwriter extraordinaire was commissioned years ago to write a beautiful musical multimedia production about the early saints that crossed the seas . It is an hour long program that has amazing and heartfelt songs, and tells a beautiful story along the way. They are performing it this Pioneer Day Holiday at the Farmington Art Center. Let me just say- it will be well worth your time. You will not be disappointed, in fact you will be uplifted. Plus- it is in Farmington, and that is cool. Cori really is amazing. And a beard is "Saints on the Seas" timeline appropriate. All the early Saints pulled off really good facial hair- the men that is.( performances July 23,24,and 25th at 8pm. $8 in advance/$10 at the door.No children under 4. The production will be recorded live. Cori has tickets, or I can get some for you. I think you can get them online too! try www.coriconnors.com, or www.farmington.utah.gov )
Make your way there. If for no other reason than you can see John with his beard, which he acts like never happens... but we all know it is a lot more common than he thinks! Hope to see you there!
p.s. honey- just shave it before beach week.
Make your way there. If for no other reason than you can see John with his beard, which he acts like never happens... but we all know it is a lot more common than he thinks! Hope to see you there!
p.s. honey- just shave it before beach week.
8 comments:
Wow! Thanks for the tip... i'll have to mention it to Justin, we'd love to come see John in action!
love the beard!
Amanda :)
Rett is jealous...he can't grow a beard--or any facial hair!!
Ash,
I would love to come see that program! I would love any excuse to see your cute family! Jason always tries really hard to grow a beard of some sort...usually it ends up a stragly, white-trashy, looking tuft of hair arranged sporatically around his face. Hence no kisses for him either! Love, Bkay
I think you're about two years off on that, Ash. I would say sideburns around third grade, mustache more around fourth. In fact, I do believe I have proof of this in the form of an instructional video of Johnny and I teaching our fourth grade class how to properly catch a flyball. Sideburns, mustache, Pirates sweats and Steelers jacket...all check!
hendu-
i would love to see that video!!!
I'm so sad I will miss it. I would love to see a recording of it. I don't think we can wait until Octobeard. Plus, I'm sure it will be fabulous. I know Cori is an amazing artist. I remember going to EFY (sooooo long ago) and I listened to the CD, and I really loved this one song on there. Years later, after I met you guys, I found out that Cori wrote that song. So cool!
So does that mean you will be late for Beach Week?
Ash,
You know if you really didn't like the beard there is a simple way to keep John from growing one. Whenever I forget/don't shave for a day or two Kysha will stop kissing me at all because "it's scratchy". This lack of kissing consequently leads to other "things" stopping as well (if you know what I mean). That's why you will rarely if ever see me with more than a day or two of stubble. :)
Post a Comment