Thursday, April 3, 2008

IT'S 3 AM* and I'm ready to make an endorsement

It appears that Matchbox Twenty lead singer Rob Thomas isn't the only one who thinks a persons very late night/very early morning behavior is important. 3 AM, according to ads run by all three remaining candidates for president, is to presidential politics what 4:20 is to potheads. A time more solemn than the rest. Your actions in that sacred hour are a foolproof reflection of who you really are. (A brief recap of the 3 am ad series is included in the footnotes for anyone interested and/ or really bored.)

And, as far as I'm concerned, they are absolutely right.
America is at a critical crossroads and this election is of utmost importance. Late night phone comfort is a tried and true presidential litmus test.**
I can be quiet no longer.
I must endorse.
There is no doubt in my mind that one person is more comfortable and more qualified than the rest to answer that 3 am phone call- my mom, Cori Connors.

Cori's experience is second to none. She served faithfully as the wife of Farmington city councilman and mayor Dave Connors (happy birthday last Sunday, dad) for 12 years.
She learned from these tough years. Many times she has told me the story of her goodwill trip to Centerville. Under a storm of gunfire she had to run, head down, from her minivan to the Target Superstore, where she bought grapes and gave them to the troops.
But, to be frank, none of that matters.
All you need to know about Cori Connors is she is always up a 3 am. And comfortable on the phone.
In fact, just yesterday I was up late reading A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Towes (pretty good book, though not recommended if you are a practicing Mennonite.) It was about midnight. Ash and the kids had been asleep for awhile. Suddenly the phone rang. Who would call this late?

Me: Hello.
Cori: Hey, it's me.
Me: Hey, is everything ok?
Cori: Yeah. Ani Difranco is on Letterman.
Me: Oh.
Cori: Gotta go. love you, bye.
Me: Bye.


Yep, Cori will call her son, even in the long hours of the night, to transfer data that she thinks may be interesting to him.*** It may have been years since I spoke the names Ani Difranco or David Letterman to my mother in conversations. Yet, she thought selflessly at that late hour, "John might like this." That's the type of woman we need running this country.
So there you have it, America.
You want someone ready at 3 am?

I give you Cori Connors.


The "it's 3 am I must be lonely" Presidential ad campaign recap
The 3 AM ads are a series of ads run by this year presidential candidates. Hilary's first ad is widely believed to have slowed Obama's growing support in Ohio and helped her win that State's primary. It pushed the "does Obama have enough experience to be president" debate to the front page. Should she win the democratic nomination that ad will be talked about by pundits and idiots like me for years to come. To this point there have been four other ads responding to that original ad. They have been run in Texas, Ohio, and Pennsylvania mostly. But, you can see them on you tube. All of them are very strange.
First Hillary ad- (intense, but still presidential, music in background) It 3 am and your kids are sleeping safely, but in the white house a scary red phone is ringing, who's ready to answer...me! because red is my favorite color and I put that phone there when I was living in the white house last time. I have the experience. Roll that up and smoke it Barak. Vote Hilliary.
Obama response- it's 3 am and Hillary is crazy. She voted to give the president power to start the war in Iraq. Don't vote for her. We don't need experience, we need good judgement.

Girl in footage from original Hillary ad response- Hey, remember that Hillary Clinton ad with the girl asleep at 3 AM? That was me 10 years ago. I think I shot it for a cough syrup ad or something. Anyway, The Clinton Campaign bought it as stock footage. Now I'm 18 and I'm voting for Barak. Trust the sleeping kid, she knows best. Hillary is just trying to scare you. Vote hope, not fear.
Second Hillary ad- It's 3 am and the red phone is ringing again. But now it a major economic crisis. Yeah, they sometimes happen at 3 am. And Jon McCain would never answer that call because he is an idiot when it comes to money.
McCain Response- it's 3 am and Hillary is crazy. She'll raise your taxes. Vote for me.
to be continued....

*really it's 8 pm
**not actually true.
***Earlier versions of this post wrongly accused Cori of calling "past midnight." These comments were the source of popular outcry (see comments by Cori and Brandi.) Historical records show Letterman ended just after 11:30 pm on April 1st. And Difranco was actually on Leno that night. (still, I think mom said Letterman) Anyway, changes have been made in the name of historical accuracy.

20 comments:

auntie libby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tatiana said...

What an honor it is for me to be the first to second the nomination. Why didn't we think of this sooner? Big ups to my fellow night owl!
Tatiana

Tatiana said...

Are you kidding? Libby beat my by one lousy minute.

auntie libby said...

i deleted mine so you would be first. but i agree. we've had the clinton's, the bush's and it is now time for the connors!

Tatiana said...

Auntie Libby,
You are totally awesome! Thanks for letting me have first position.
Tatiana

coriconnors said...

May I get a word in edge wise here girls? OK, so it's 11:29 pm and I actually have Letterman on my TV right here so I can see just how late his show goes because I really don't think it goes till WAY PAST MIDNIGHT! Cheesh. I would never call someone THAT late just to tell them someone as OLD NEWS as Anni Defranco (or however you spell her name) is on Letterman.
Truth be known, John trained me early on in his life to think of him in the wee hours of the night!
I am flattered son, that you have presidential confidence in yer old ma.
So you think maybe we should pull out all those ELECT CONNORS signs out from under the back porch and pound them in someone's lawn?
OK, so just one more thing. Last night, in an attempt to convince myself I am within shouting distance of normal, I took a Tylenol PM at midnight. I woke up at 7:30 am STIFF AS A BOARD. Stretches of sleep that long do not work for my humanness.
Go ahead everyone, go to sleep and have your lovely dreams. Someone's got to hold up the moon.
Your's Truly

Tyler and Stacy: said...

John is so full of endorsements these days that the large amount of credibility I once gave him was beginning to dwindle. Let's see, in just the last two months he has endorsed Vampire Weekend, Bon Iver, Wicked and Citizen Cope (I'm sure I'm missing some others). Just when he had reached the point where I was certain that the sheer volume of his endorsements had marginalized the quality of those respective endorsements, he goes and pulls this rabbit out of his hat. I, too, endorse Cori Connors. I endorse her for mother-of-the-year, world's greatest musician, Farmington's best post-midnight chef, or whatever other award she stands nominated for.

Oh, and it's nice to find out she has a blog. I'll have to keep tabs on that one.

john said...

one of the signs of a great canidate is his/her ability to mobilize a previously silent group. To ad to the already lengthy list of presidential qualities she posesses, Cori has brought the first time commenters to this polling station for this post. Well done, mom. well done.
Tatiana and Libby- I apreciate your support of Cori.
Cori- Please don't stop calling late. And thanks for the girl scout cookies yesterday. I love you.
Hendu- True, endorsement are not as effective as they once were. Nevertheless, I will endose Cori without hesitation and I'm pleased to have you on board.
P.S. How did the night with Stone end?
Concerning other endorsements there will be 12 musical endorsements (one per month).

J.R.G. said...

If Cori were President many things would be different. For example... Kim Jong-il would not only be welcomed in the White House, he would also be offered a spare bed to sleep.

Adrianne said...

thanks John for all of the clarifications- but I believe that for nurses it is 4 am- whatever is said in that hour doesn't really count- or so we believe until people start spreading rumors about shower curtains and baby oil.

But back on topic- I too would vote for Cori, she is true to herself which I don't believe can be said for many politians. And she has a rare gift to see people for who they are! (and might one day become)

sterlingandbrandi said...

I think 3 AM is actually about Rob Thomas's mom too. I usually always support any mom in her campaign for anything, but not ol' Hil. I prefer a little C-C presidential campaigning myself. And I'm with Cori on the lateness of Letterman, I think it ends closer to 10pm you old fogie.

john said...

Brandi- Somewhere between what I say and what you say is the truth.
Letterman ends at 11:30.
Great word choice on the name calling though.
"Fogie."
Classic word.
Anyway, you and Cori will be pleased to know I changed the times mentioned in the post.

Spencer Hyde said...

You all missed the most important late night show...I believe Nader was on Carson Daily just after Letterman. Sure hate to miss that good stuff. Thanks for the congrats on my blog you two, and I am excited for the beach as always. I have only met Cori once, but I remember she had recited "For whom the bell tolls" by John Donne. Anyone reciting poetry is definitely fit to run the country; although I believe George W. reads Dr. Seuss every now and then. That's a different issue though. Well done on being a night owl John; when I heard that I was excited nigh unto arousal.

Courtney said...

Although I might not look like a serious voter....Cori has secured my vote. Can we do a write-in?

I too love the wee hours, that is when I watch LOST and Grey's anatomy, Mythbuster, Law and Order and Iron Chef.

Heidi Louise said...

I just want to give a shout out to one of the world's most amazing women ever.... Cori! Cori had I known you are up this late I would have been calling you all these years. I have to take two tylenol PM in order to fall asleep otherwise I too would be up all night.

heidi said...

John,
I love your endorsements and take a serious look at each one, and they are all quality. Put my vote down for the Queen of Farmington. Especially if she brings her guitar to the white house. Then, you would not only be the Prince of Farmington, but the Prince of the Country!

Brianne said...

John, I rather like your endorsements thus far. Though I must admit Cori is my favorite. What a woman! If elected President I picture the US comparable to a big Woodstock with all good music...minus the drugs, public sexual tirades, and bras.

Brianne said...

I meant bra burning.

Ashley C. said...

ha ha! I got a good laugh out of that one. I really thought- wow no bras- sweet! But no bra burning is good too! :)

Coleen said...

I now have a new parenting goal and hope that at least one of my children make an endorsement on my behalf when they are old fogies.