Monday, April 21, 2008

Farewell to a Worthy Foe


He was a fighter. And a clever one. (He had eaten the food off of the trap without getting caught for the last two nights.) Clearly too smart to get caught in a conventional trap, mouse and I faced off this afternoon in a cage match. Locked in our back playroom, we determined that neither of us would leave until one of us was dead. Furniture was turned on its side. Cries of rage were sent to the heavens. (Passive voice was used.) There were boot kicks. A small toy vacuum thrown. Finally, thanks to a solid assist by JD, who bravely pushed the mouse out from behind the couch, the enemy came in contact with my broom. And, as quickly as he came into our life, he was gone.
Good-bye little warrior. We salute you.

28 comments:

Cori said...

Well, all I can say about Parker is that the apple does NOT fall far from the tree. We finally bought John some brand new Mickey Mouse sheets when he was two and tried to convince him Mickey liked to sleep with him. It worked at least 47 minutes. Maybe that's being generous.
On the other hand, it is that same tenacity and drive that turned our little non-sleeper into the brave hunter-gatherer warrior who just tonight won the battle against the beast in the playroom. A real man's got to defend his space and his family. It's a rite of passage. I knew you could do it, son. Does a mother proud, it does.
Give it a few decades, Ash. I hope I'm around when Parker bags his first mouse.

Unknown said...

There are too many reasons to list why I love your blog.

auntie libby said...

well...it's a good thing! you know mice get hungry at night and run into your bedroom and climb up onto your bed and bit your fingers, thinking they sre perhaps cheese sticks and then you must go to the county health dept. to be tested for rabies. so i'm with ashley and am glad the little monster got smashed with a broom and is now fertilizing your garden!

Just be...... said...

found you through Jeni's blog, our husband need to meet, two witty souls. How are you related to Jeni?

Just be...... said...

I also cast my vote for Cori, heard her speak once about her time serving in the jails, never forgot somethings she shared .

Anonymous said...

John, Must I remind you that once again you have created a PR nightmare. Our agent just called asking me how we expect him to explain your actions to PETA. Rolling Stone was getting ready to do a five page spread on the RETTARDS and how we have embraced nature as a integral muse and the driving force behind our song writing. Dude, I implore you please stop being so reckless. I am fine with your strange hang ups such as your chain of nudist colonies or your failed attempt to go into outer space with the russians but please be aware that when you get bad pub the whole band gets bad pub. Next time there is one of gods little creations running amuck in your house, call me and together we can safely capture this small creature and release it back into the wilderness where it belongs. I love you man but You didn't see Michael jackson killing ben the mouse did you?


RETT

Tatiana said...

Boys will be boys....sheesh!
As I type, I am preparing to host a 4 year old's Transformer-themed birthday party. It is heavy laden with testosterone, robots, weapons, and anything un-pink. I suppose I'm grooming a fierce mouse killer myself. Hope he turns out as cool as you, John.

Tia said...

I'm with Rett. Even though he was causing complete mayhem in your house, I kind of feel bad for the little guy. At least he put a good fight.

heidi said...

That mouse never had a chance. Maybe you can bring your broom over to my house. Just last night I opened the garage door and there was a mouse, staring right at me!

Tyler and Stacy: said...

Cori, please don't lie to the rest of the bloggers. Everyone already knows that you gave John those sheets last year for Christmas and he still thinks Mickey likes to sleep with him.

Kysha said...

I'm impressed at your skill with the broom. We've tried a baseball bat before--not quite as effective.

Casey said...

Jon wasn't that effective with a baseball bat either so he's used to that.

Jon that was a joke...you know I am just jealous of your ultra coolness.

Which by the way is in jeopardy based on a few of your latest song recommendations. Bon Iver may have a sweet beard but truth be told I can't understand a dang thing the fellow says in his songs. I listened to the entire "For, Emma" album and my one overwhelming thought after I finished was that the Rettards should start touring again. Now I ask you...can any music that encourages those kind of thoughts be considered good? I rest my case.

-Casey

Everyday Sparkles said...

I don't even like mice . . . so why do I feel sad that this little guy is gone? I am glad to see you gave him a proper burial.

Courtney said...

lovely writing... entertaining and informative! Can I take blog writing lessons from you? I struggle. Let me know your rates and availability.

Anonymous said...

Goodbye Mousey!

racetri.com said...

I am trying to boost

racetri.com said...

your blog comments

racetri.com said...

up to the

racetri.com said...

twenties, so that

racetri.com said...

when you check it next

racetri.com said...

you will be all excited.

racetri.com said...

Sorry to disapoint you, you mouse murderers.

Bill said...

John, quite a conquest. Your broom skills were no doubt honed to precision during a period of youthful aloofness (employment) at the best mattress shop that isn't. I am in awe of your mad broom skills maybe you can fit this into a song sometime, I would buy it. P.S. I hope you buried the little rodent face dowm so Rhett and PETA can kiss his as---butt.

john said...

thanks trav.

Treidi said...

you are welcome...

additional question, is "farwell" similar to "farewell"?

I am not up on on my Farmington speak.



(yes I am a cheeky git.)

john said...

i hate you.
thanks for the correction.

RETTJ16 said...

All the little guy was trying to do was to tell you something! But you wouldn't listen! He just wanted to have a warm dinner and then get into bed with you and snuggle! How foolish we can be sometimes!!
Jill

Jenny H said...

I am impressed my dad figured out how to do the comments. Beware people.