Friday, September 17, 2010

New dog... Old dog.

Parker is at a really cute age. He is getting so old and learning so much, and yet still so young and innocent.  He has a million questions, gives out the best hugs, and wakes up at the crack of dawn happier than anyone I know. He is just a fun kid to know. I really like being his Mom.

Since he was little he has loved his Old Dog. That is the name he gave him. He has "love holes"-little worn out holes in the fabric- he has been loved so much. Over the years I think John and I have come to love Old Dog too. I have had to be so careful, and so far in a little over four years, we have yet to lose Old Dog.(There is no replacement!) Mind you, he has gone missing before... luckily not for long. One time he was missing for a day or two and when I found him nicely tucked in the playroom, inside the play kitchen oven, I told Parker where he was. Parker responded with, " No Mom, he went to the mountains to visit Ronnie Reynolds." Oh. Okay.

About a month ago, there appeared New Dog. Not to replace Old Dog, just to be side by side with Old Dog. New Dog had previously lived in the playroom bin full of stuffed animals. I'm not even sure where he came from. Now Parker is teaching New Dog how to be a good dog. He takes both dogs on walks around the block, for real. He puts them in their dog beds for naps, he feeds them out of dog bowls full of cereal. He LOVES these dogs.

Maybe, this means I should cave (and this would be a huge cave...) and just get a real dog one day for this boy. But maybe not. He loves these dogs, and I know they love him back. And it reminds me of the white, "love holed", stuffed animal dog, Hoss, that slept with me for many, many years. Hoss was named after my favorite teacher, Mrs. Orphanakis' dog that died, while she was my teacher in Second Grade. Hoss was so matted and tattered from being washed so many times in the washing machine by my mom. That same dog is now in my grown-up (sort of) closet today, sitting on the top shelf because I can't bear to get rid of him.

It's not just an Old Dog. It's part of being a kid and loving something that makes you feel safe. I hope Old Dog makes it to Parker's grown-up closet top shelf one day too. In the meantime, I think Old Dog will continue to be dragged around our street at 7am Saturday mornings, on a real dog leash.

8 comments:

Lindsey Jayne said...

that is SO cute. your little dude is so darling!

Tatiana said...

Such a cute post. Little says that New Dog came from our stuffed animal closet. Problem is, we don't have a pink elephant.

Courtney said...

I too love old dog and new dog...and hoss! I still have my baby blanket on my top shelf of my big girl closet. Perhaps my baby will love her blanket as much as I have loved mine!

Lauren Parker said...

I love this! This is how I feel about my blankie. Still sleep with it to this day. It's weird how an object can hold so many feelings!

Jenny H said...

I love that you captured this memory. What a sweetheart of a boy, that Parks.
I still have my cookie monster. His eyeballs are freaky looking and he's pretty nasty...but, I love knowing he's in a box nearby.

Everyday Sparkles said...

I saw the cutest thing today. Parker was walking home from Henry's with his dog in tow. Melted my heart.

Ann Marie said...

Oh what a wonderful entry...oh what a wonderful boy. We love Parker and we love that Parker loves "old dog". We miss you and can't wait to see you in October. Hug those little ones for us!!

E.F.G. said...

parker is such a sweetie and it is so easy to identify with him. my "old dog" was named peanut butter. my mom stitched the poor guy back together on numerous occasions but never caved and got me a real one.