Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I like Wednesdays.

I like Wednesday. It is currently my favorite day of the week. Here is why:

1. It is the only night during the week that both John and I have nothing. No Young Womens, no soccer league, no guitar classes, no dance... nada.
2. Good tv. Loving Modern Family.
3. I never cook on Wednesdays and yet...
This is the meal that appeared at my doorstep tonight. Roasted chicken with balsamic bell peppers on top of mashed potatoes. Oh, and a heavenly side of green beans with toasted almonds on top. And do not forget the yummy twelve grain bread.

Nope, not the Schwan's man. Or Nutrisystem.

One year ago my neighbor/friend Tatiana and I invented our own food swap. I cook two nights a week for both the families, and she cooks two nights a week for both our families. It is glorious. It isn't that much harder once you are cooking to just make double. I am not sure if either of us knew it would last this long, but it has, and we LOVE it. It works because we cook very similarly, we aren't trying to out-do each other (though tonight I might believe otherwise) and we only occasionally throw in a dessert. Good life.

Sweet, sweet Wednesdays. I love you. And I love you "Tatnana!"

*photo and recipe courtesy of Cooking Light

12 comments:

Adrianne said...

Seriously can i have that recipe? I think that my last few meals have crashed and burned. Glad that you have a favorite day - remember when it used to be hottie Tuesday? Anyways- would love that recipe !!! Maybe I can redeem myself tomorrow.

E.F.G. said...

A dinner swap? Brilliant! Such wonderful reasons to love Wednesdays. And you can add to the list, we're 1/2 way to the weekend by the time Wednesday evening rolls around.

Tyler and Stacy: said...

Modern Family finally had a good episode last night. Seems like it's been weeks!

Liz said...

Great idea...I need to get my neighbor friends in on swaping meals. Haven't seen Modern Family-sounds like it is a good show. I love family nights when everyone is just hanging out. Hope to see you soon.

The Beckstroms said...

What a great idea! I think I will do that, I would LOVE to not think about cooking two nights a week. Your fam is darling and I am in awe at how people do more than two kids :)

Tatiana said...

I love Wednesdays, too. But, I think that I love Tuesdays and Thursdays even more! I bet there are Jack 'n Jill kitchens in heaven.

Amanda said...

Wow, THAT is a great idea (dinner swap!) :) it looks so amazing!

Adrianne said...

Dear Tatiana- thanks so much for dinner (or the idea anyway) we had it tonight and it was delish!

Everyday Sparkles said...

Yummy. That is beautiful. You two really do make the rest of us look bad. You both inspire me. Happy cooking.

p.s. We are now hooked on Modern Family too. Thanks for the recommendation.

coriconnors said...

Ashley and Tatiana ROCK!!!!

coriconnors said...

Oh, and Happy Anniversary ladies!

Mushie said...

What's not to love about a great meal fixed by someone else? Looks delish!