Saturday, May 31, 2008

the frontrunner

If you live in Davis County and you are looking for a great adventure you can try what we tried this evening. We went carless and hopped on the new front runner train for an evening in " the city" as Sophie calls it. We took the train to Salt Lake and then hopped on trax and headed up to meet my parents and Naomi at Trolley Square for some shopping and food. It was an adventure and the kids thought the train was the greatest thing ever. John and I felt like we were on vacation- something about riding a train that made us feel not quite at home. An acquatiance in Pottery Barn Kids said we were on a "stay-cation". I guess that means when you stay in the same place but you are on vacation. I can handle that. Bring on the "stay-cations...." Some helpful hints if you happen to hop aboard the front runner yourself.

1. Take your kids at least once. They love the view and it is pretty entertaining. At least on the way there. 2. Have a helpful tour guide.



3. Pick a good destination- We went out on a limb here and decided not to stop with the front runner. We hopped on trax and continued around town.

4. Enjoy your company- It was so fun to meet up with Mushie, Papa and Naomi. That way we got to laugh about our little adventure with someone else. Enjoying our kids company was a bit of a stretch at the end on the way home. We had to wait for the train for 20 minutes and then ride home. Car seats were invented for children like Parker who should be strapped in when in a moving vehicle. (That being said though- I was actually glad he was being so crazy. He ran in front of some guy at Trolley Square and got pummeled to the ground to put it lightly. So as crazy as the train ride home was- I was happy to see him laughing and playing.... and not acting like he had a concussion. He probably should have for how hard he hit his head.)

5. Lastly- Don't leave your cell phone on the Front Runner... but if you do.... make sure you have a really obnoxious ring like John's and call it over and over til the really nice lady who was working on the train picks it up. John just drove back over to the station to meet the train that was arriving back from Ogden. "Lucky John", is what I say.

All in all-Great night. Gotta love good public transportation and the warm fuzzy feeling you get because you might just help the planet by using it. Plus- I always love spending time with my cute hubby and kids.

11 comments:

Everyday Sparkles said...

That looks like fun. We are going to try to go this week. Jet's been dying to go. Thanks for the tips and hooray for going green . . . that's the best part! We can have lots of stay-cations right here on Quail Run Road this summer.

Anonymous said...

that looks like lots of fun!!!! I love riding trains it does feel like a vacation from the norm. love you guys and hope we can hang out soon

Treidi said...

Your kids are just adorable. I hear the frontrunner is coming to Payson, so whenever they finish it, we will plan a "stay-cation" to Farmington.

heidi said...

Oops. That last comment was from me, but I'm sure Travis would agree.

Coleen said...

We love going on Trax when we are in SLC. Its truly a treat for the boys. What a fun idea. The kids are the cutest/happiest commuters ever.

john said...

heidi, I was just thinking,
"that's seems like an unusually kind comment from Trav."
see you guys this weekend.
i've been growing the beard just for the occasion.

Treidi said...

eh...

what the hell is that supposed to mean?

Treidi said...

ps-I am kidding. i also finally posted a blog, so get on it!

RETTJ16 said...

John,

this reminds me of the times we spent hopping freight trains and living off canned spam.

Craig T Nelson
(coach, poltergeist)

PS fur traders thursday be ready!
I love you

Jenny H said...

Blair's grandparents took our kids on the train when it was free. I wasn't too sad I missed out, but now I kinda am. Looks fun!!

sarahbellac said...

LOVE the pic of Sophie with John! Such a cute video! I remember when we used to ride the Trax with Timo (when we lived downtown). He always thought it was the best thing ever. Dave would take him for a 'ride on the Trax' so that I could study. They would just sit on it and ride for hours. Ha! So much fun. Love and miss you guys!
Sarah